Closed Thread

Thread: Menatone Red Snapper vs. Blue Collar???

Hey all,

anyone use 'em?? how do they compare to the other TS clones out there? i'm a fan of Brian's work, and just thought maybe i'd one or the other along with my TBIAC, Mail Bomb, and Pleasure Trem.

Hey all,

anyone use 'em?? how do they compare to the other TS clones out there? i'm a fan of Brian's work, and just thought maybe i'd one or the other along with my TBIAC, Mail Bomb, and Pleasure Trem.

The Blue Collar is not a TS clone!!! It has a voice all it's own. It was designed to sound like a cranked plexi, and that it does better than it's meaner cousin the KOB, which sounds like a high gain Marshall. I've been using my Blue Collar a lot recently and really dig it. At lower gain settings it'll do a great crunch ryhthm (probably as good as my Vox Valve Tone), at higher settings it gets compressed and has a nice growly lead tone - kinda like a plexi!

The Snapper is a TS clone. I sold mine as I have a ton of TS clones and liked most of them better. It's VERY bright, almost harsh sounding. Actually to my ears it is harsh sounding. I could not have the tone nob above 9:00 and even there it was too harsh for my ears.

The KOB and Blue Collar are still the best pedals Menatone makes imho.
    "Tag really knows tone."

Ditto what Trebor said. It seems like when you hear some of these pedals you wonder what they were thinking when they wrote the descriptions of them. Especially bad is the description of the Workingman's Blue which is touted as a 5 knob Blue Collar which in concept would be something cool but IMO it doesn't sound anything like the Blue Collar. The description of the Blue Collar as a "Tubescreamer on steroids" seems a little closer to reality but the plexi reference is a better comparison I think.

I love the RS-i'm getting a blue collar soon and am looking forward to seeing just how they differ...don't usually turn the snapper's bite knob up much,but it can get kind of rangemaster-ish which is pretty cool for some things.I like the Howie pedal a lot,as well-good stuff...
    j

Originally posted by Trebor Renkluaf:
    The Blue Collar is not a TS clone!!! It has a voice all it's own. It was designed to sound like a cranked plexi, and that it does better than it's meaner cousin the KOB, which sounds like a high gain Marshall. I've been using my Blue Collar a lot recently and really dig it. At lower gain settings it'll do a great crunch ryhthm (probably as good as my Vox Valve Tone), at higher settings it gets compressed and has a nice growly lead tone - kinda like a plexi!

The Snapper is a TS clone. I sold mine as I have a ton of TS clones and liked most of them better. It's VERY bright, almost harsh sounding. Actually to my ears it is harsh sounding. I could not have the tone nob above 9:00 and even there it was too harsh for my ears.

The KOB and Blue Collar are still the best pedals Menatone makes imho.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Trebor,
    Are those lower gain crunch sounds of the Blue Collar also Marshall-like in flavor? I'm looking for a pedal that can do that AC/DC open sounding crunch. I'm usually playing through Fender amps. Suggestions? Thanks!

I don't own a Red Snapper pedal, but my Blue Collar really does the trick for Marshally sounds. I use Fender amps and either a Les Paul or Tele and haven't been this happy with a pedal for a LLLLLOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time.

Originally posted by Twanger:
    Hey Trebor,
    Are those lower gain crunch sounds of the Blue Collar also Marshall-like in flavor? I'm looking for a pedal that can do that AC/DC open sounding crunch. I'm usually playing through Fender amps. Suggestions? Thanks!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes the lower gain settings are Marshall like in flavor. I also play Fender amps (my main is a '66 Super Reverb and my backup a '69 Pro Reverb). Whether it will cop the AC/DC sound is debatable. I'm playing my Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic these days and it just doesn't get the crunch rhythm thing going the same way my Les Paul did. The thing is when I was playing my Les Paul I was using the Vox Valve tone for my crunch rhythm. With that I got some killer crunch rhythms and definitely in the British Invasion and/or AC/DC vein. Those would be my two pedal recommendations for crunch rhythm: the Blue Collar or Vox Valve Tone. The Blue Collar sounds much better cranked than the Valve Tone does though.
    "Tag really knows tone."

Thanks for your reply Trebor. I may check out the Blue Collar soon, but then I'm sure I'll just want more Menatones!!It never ends...

I have played both and as already stated they R totally different. The sound of the blue collar have been described in some detail, but I have to say I'm also a big fan of the RS. It is not high gain, but does an incredible light crunch with alot of twang. It is bright and the tone control is really a treble boost, so I'm not surpriced Trebor finds it unusable above 9. The tone control on mine have never left fully left position. If U ever get to try one out turn the tone all the way to the left, then apply volume and gain to taste. I like to hit the amp hard with the volume and then add just a tad of crunch with the gain knob.

Trebor - I think we have both posted about the RS a few times before and I know U found it bright but damn it I'v said this so many times - it's not a tone knob it's a treble boost. All the way to the left is neutral position on this thing. I just want to make this clear so people dont't go around expecting it to work as a normal tone control starting at 12 o'clock and then dismiss it as an overly bright pedal. Because then they'll never get a decent impression of the pedal. It will be ├╝berbright. I totally agree with U on the BC though, an amazing pedal.

Closed Thread