+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Studio Desk DIY Ikea Hack

Default Studio Desk DIY Ikea Hack

Some of you might recall I had plan to build my own studio desk.
    Well it took a while but it's all done. I got inspired from a 1959 Langevin console.
    Got a desk frame from Ikea, never mind regular tops I made my own.
    My top is made from 2 pieces of 30x60 1-1/4 thick pine wood.
    The top is bolted thru existing holes on the ikea frame using T-nuts installed on the bottom of my top with very common hex bolt, lock washers and flat washers.
    Attached are a bunch of pictures of the project.
    Langevin Stereo Console 1959.jpgPlan and cut lines.jpgAssembled concealed screws sealer applied and sanded.jpgfirst coat.jpgfourth coat.jpg

Final result, I got room to grow. I'm currently considering using the empty space to put in my guitar rackmount stuff.
    final result.jpg

Noice! Wish I had it, looks like there would be room for my Yamaha HS 8's on the top shelf

Those on there are Yamaha HS7 so yes HS8 should fit on there...
    Thsi was a quick picture of the final result. NOthing is actually plugged in yet... I'm surely gonna move some stuff around once I start using it. That's a big step toward finishing the room to my liking, not finsihed with the room yet but I'm giving myself time last thing I want to do is rush anything.

I'd like to see how you do the acoustic treatment. Lot of hard surfaces wood paneling, tile floors in the pics.

The whole floor is like that, the whole ceiling is going to be sonex tiles(not cheap stuff to buy since I'm ordering from Canada). And behind those tiles I intend on putting Roxul safe&sound(that is to cut sound from the floor above more than anything). I have 2 layers of curtain from floor to ceiling in the back as you can see on that wall behind. There will probably be some treatment panels behind there also if required. Also planned is some bass traps in one of the corner. I got lots of natural diffusion from guitars being hanged on the wall to the right (not seen there). But I have a plan of action, nothing is really perfectly parallel in the room by design which is helping a lot. My workbench is in a closet behind which also acts a nice backwall diffuser in and of itself, if I don't like it I can close the doors and work on them with some paneling on the front of the doors if need be. But with the whole ceiling done I'll already have 20-30% of the rooms surface treated, add bass traps and curtains and I'm very close to something quite decent. My speakers will also be decoupled which they are not on the picture(not there yet) I'll share more on the room when there's more done. The wood paneling you're refering to is in the room I work on the desk not where it will be used, the last picture shows where it will be used.
    Last edited by GloŽbz; 04-18-2018 at 01:20 AM.

The guitar stuff went in... PSA-1 pre, Lexicon, and dbx 1066 comp. I just got a rackmount Korg Tuner to go in there also. No excuse not to be tuned now, main reason being that having it there will force me to always use the same tuner when recording which is a good idea to always have the same reference. Yes more pictures will come in the future.

+ Reply to Thread