Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess what I just bought...

Default Guess what I just bought...

I'll show myself out...
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    www.facebook.com/angeloboltini - Solo Page
    http://www.facebook.com/forthebirdsnl - Band Page

I was suspecting it would be that. It's kinked, bought used I presume, pry it and put it in a roadcase!
    Next time you it a place with a bunch of amps you like steal them by modeling them in.

+1 now u need to go back into the recording studio u showed us pics and model every great vintage amp there.
    Hope u tell us on the Kemper works on your rig.

Oh hell yes. Report requested when you have a chance to run it through it's paces, 'Lo

Quote Originally Posted by rologibson View Post
    +1 now u need to go back into the recording studio u showed us pics and model every great vintage amp there.
    Hope u tell us on the Kemper works on your rig.
    Actually, the JTM45 in that studio has already been modeled by Bert Meulendijk! He sells some great profiles..

I did a profile of my Two Rock yesterday, pretty handy for quick recording purposes!

Quote Originally Posted by GloŽbz View Post
    I was suspecting it would be that. It's kinked, bought used I presume, pry it and put it in a roadcase!
    Next time you it a place with a bunch of amps you like steal them by modeling them in.
    I was hoping to find or make a Tweed 19" rack case, for just a bit of that vintage feel

This one was a really good deal.. Big discount and there were already lots of 3rd party profiles in there.

I switched over to a Line 6 Helix with power amp and cab for live about a year ago and haven't looked back. It definitely gets close enough for rock'n'roll.

One of the big advantages this set up has for live is the level control. A lot of times with real amps they need to be opened up to get them sounding the way you want, and in a lot of situations it just isn't appropriate/possible to do that. The latest software amps allow you to get the sound you are after (or at least very, very close to it) at the level you want.

And for recording in a non-studio situation, the Helix (and I imagine the Kemper) is a no-brainer. I sent a demo I did in Garageband to a producer friend of mine who has a serious amp collection and he messaged me back asking what I had used for the "rich and creamy" lead lines. I told him what it was and he said when it comes time to record the track properly I should definitely use the Helix patch.

Cool! What are you using for speakers though? My Greenback cab doesn't really sound anywhere near what the Kemper sounds like DI...

I'm thinking of getting some PA speakers to put in there, but would probably need a tweeter too to make it full range.

Quote Originally Posted by NJlo View Post
    Cool! What are you using for speakers though? My Greenback cab doesn't really sound anywhere near what the Kemper sounds like DI...

I'm thinking of getting some PA speakers to put in there, but would probably need a tweeter too to make it full range.
    I use a Fryette Powerstation as the power amp and a Greenback cab. I use the amp sims without any cabinet modelling on the Helix.

For each of the amp models on the Helix you can have either have just the preamp or the full pre- and power-amp. I usually go for the full thing. I'm not super familiar with the Kemper, so I'm not sure if it is possible to have an amp model without speaker modelling.

I know there are companies that make full range cab solutions so one of those might be best with the Kemper. I tried using the Helix just through the PA initially and the experience is very much dependent on the quality of the PA and monitoring. If you are playing in a band where everyone else has full amps and the monitoring is just alright, there is a danger that you will be lost.

For those interested in the differences in power amps, this is worth a watch: https://youtu.be/ZC9ZABIKrEs
    Last edited by Seziertisch; 06-09-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seziertisch View Post
    It definitely gets close enough for rock'n'roll.
    <Gasp> There is NO such thing as "close enough" for rock and roll. Blasphemy! You will smoke a turd in Hell for that comment, and if Satan won't make you... I WILL. ;p j/k

Kidding aside, the only person I ever heard who could pull off solid state rock was Dimebag Darrell with his Randall Warheads. The rest of us mere mortals require glowing tubes (by and large) if you have the will to want to do right by the genre.

V
    Last edited by VanStone; 06-11-2017 at 08:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread