+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for new combo amp that rocks and still has nice clean ch

Jaydee,

My Dr. Z Maz 38 has a nice punch. They're tough to find to try out though. If you end up going with the Friedman, would love to hear a review as I'm considering the same...

Here's a Maz 38 Studio Deluxe on local Craigslist just today for what seems a reasonable price of $1000

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/6134544356.html Good thing about living in a major metro center, stuff comes up all the time

I must warn you Jaydee, tis a heavy amp. Like, really heavy. The sounds go from crystal clear to a nice EL34 crunch but the cooling fan they use adds weight. I suppose that's why God made wheels...

Hi brothers.
    Sorry i had not answered some queries and suggestions that have come up.
    I am shy of always telling what Marshall amps I have because there seems to be a misconception about solid state combo amps. My Marshall feel and are a solid state hybrid that use one 12ax7 tube. Now that tube makes it responsive to picking dynamics. I tested several boutique tubes and finally cooked some fine sounds.
    I use lots of OD pedals to further juice the dirt sounds I like.
    Jaydee I've been reading about the slight dirt differences between the El34 and El84 tubes. The El34 have more bass and headroom. Both distort good but the El34 distort much earlier.
    I like the crunch tones and cleans of the Friedman 20watts Runt.
    However I am harvesting juicing tones with my actual rig.
    Keep the advises flowing. In 5 or less years I bet more great low watt amp will be available. The Friedman is the first i desire in a long time.

+ Reply to Thread