+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oddball NAD -Bruh!

Default Oddball NAD -Bruh!

I am normally not one to look into "lesser" name brands, but this thing caught my eye. A double graphic Eq? WTH?
    My research showed that the preamp is transistor... Ugh but hey I already scheduled to go try it and wow! It was mighty clean for being made in 1979.

This "reverse hybrid" design is a lot like my Blue Angel which is meant to create power tube distortion with a clean pre signal. Has original Sylvania EL34's! Reverb is fantastic but I digress... Dropped the SRO in it because it's from the same era and I had been sitting on it until the right amp came along. SO flexible, gain is a bit cheesy but not the worst I've heard. I am proud of this discovery.

Last edited by Nathan; 05-03-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    -meedley meedley woooOOOo-

Cool! I really like the idea of a tranny pre with tube power amp. I own a 1970 Marshall Mercury that does the same thing, at 5W 1xEL84.
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    www.facebook.com/angeloboltini - Solo Page
    http://www.facebook.com/forthebirdsnl - Band Page

I ordered up a set of EH 6CA7's since I don't know how long these Sylvanias will last. I didn't realize they're a slightly different design than EL34's. It's going to take more time to put it through its paces but honeymoon assessment is super positive! Some oddball gear is cool for the novelty but this looks like a totally viable contender for primary or backup amp.

Let's not forget the Music Man amps of that day with a transistor pre amp and tube power section. Those amps are still highly regarded for their clean tones, not so much for their gain tones, as with yours. Seems everyone back around that time was copying the Mesa Boogie with the Graphic EQ. Separate EQ's for clean and distortion channels, eh. How do you switch channels, got a footswitch?
    Last edited by jaydee; 05-03-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Looks like an interesting concept with 2 eq like that. Is it working well with your gain pedals ?

Ya the footswitch setup is ghetto funky, check the dedicated plugs for reverb and channels. Some tv repair guy rigged this up with a Boss footswitch and a 2-button job. It works but ugly as sin, I'm likely going to make my own... I didn't think graphic EQ would appeal to me but it's GREAT, especially because there are 2 independent channels!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
    Let's not forget the Music Man amps of that day with a transistor pre amp and tube power section. Those amps are still highly regarded for their clean tones, not so much for their gain tones, as with yours. Seems everyone back around that time was copying the Mesa Boogie with the Graphic EQ. Separate EQ's for clean and distortion channels, eh. How do you switch channels, got a footswitch?

Quote Originally Posted by GloŽbz View Post
    Looks like an interesting concept with 2 eq like that. Is it working well with your gain pedals ?
    Don't know yet, I've been listening to the amp's breakup so far. Should get to that tonight!

Yep as expected the toanz are mighty wonderous. My Cuda is the tube pre this sucker is missing and really the solid state is clean & stays out of the way. Overall this is something like an Ampeg or such; distinctly its own sound, containing some qualities of better known amps but just not identifiable like "oh, that's 6L6/EL34/6V6/EL84" etc). Could be the 6CA7 tubes or just the circuit, I don't know or care... The speaker is incredible, delivers a full spectrum with gusto while staying warm. At 100 watts it will peel paint! The only thing similar I've tried is Fane Studio 12L's but those were not as warm/toneful.

Ya got the new EH tubes in and of course the sound changed. It's still excellent, slight quieter but that vintagey tube meltdown tone is lost. These Sylvanias are clearly special, maybe it's just their age or mismatched bias? Doesn't matter since I don't trust them.

+ Reply to Thread