+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some intersting videos on recording electric guitar

Default Some intersting videos on recording electric guitar

Came across these recently. Thought people might enjoy them.

https://youtu.be/JJQ7PW0rtnk

https://youtu.be/SiyACb40TUM

https://youtu.be/Cz65qfczRmw

I think these videos show how questionable the whole "I got this pedal or this amp or guitar or whatever and it allows me to get a tone exactly like a certain player had on a certain record" thing that you encounter on forums. The microphone choice and the use of EQ and compression really serve to augment and sweeten things.

Even the type of compressor and eq used has an effect. It's a chain, pure luxury is having choices for each link in that chain. In the end you do the best with what you have doesn't matter what makes it work, as long as it does.

Thanks S! One thing I've learned is that sometimes a 'beautiful' guitar sound on it's own doesn't sound so good when applied to the mix. Conversely, I had a really nasty, and not in a good way, rhythm guitar sound on a reggae style rhythm guitar track. Once it was in the mix, damn if it didn't sound perfect for that tune. Point being, and maybe Ben can back me up here, but you can work your butt off getting a great guitar tone, but if you do that in isolation from the larger mix, you might find that your golden tone isn't in the context of the song. Ever heard some of those songs on YT or where ever, and they isolate the guitar tracks. I heard some Led Zep tracks where the guitar tone sounded really.....bad. Once you hear all the instrumentation around it, all of a sudden....it's a classic rock song.
    Last edited by jaydee; 02-20-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Yep Jaydee, it's all about making the bigger picture work. Whatever it may be. That's within the context of a song... live or in the studio it's a similar fight. Within an album it's about balancing the different mixes/songs and making a sequence that works and flows the right way. That's the part I worked on most as a Mastering guy, that and the 3 seconds of digital black n between songs don't always have to be that 3 seconds sometime a crossfade is what works best, sometime it's 2.4 seconds... depending on how it feels timewise, or if you want it to punch and surprise more you cut the gap and it's gonna surprise the listener that much more... that is of course in an album context which is a lost artform in this days of mp3, just like it was in the 60s in the days of 45s

Good videos nonetheless in the initial post

+ Reply to Thread