+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Craigslist Score!

Default Craigslist Score!

So I've been saving a few bucks thinking about getting one of those SIB bargain tube pedals that Nathan got. I'm browsing local Craigslist and last night a 1964 Gibson GA 5T Skylark (Tremolo) combo amp - a real Fender Champ slayer......for $100. I didn't even try beating him down, went over there this morning at 9 AM, the guy says he's had 4-5 calls already on it, but here it is. 10 watts: 10" replacement Jensen Alnico Speaker. Strange tube complement, but man they sound good. 2 X 6EU7 Pre Amp/Phase Inverter and Tremolo 2 X 6AQ5 Power tubes. 1 X 6X4 Rectifier.

The good thing about these weird tubes is that are still tons of NOS left over since most modern amps don't use these tubes. I gotta say it is an excellent sounding amp, really is a Champ/Vibrochamp slayer-take it from a guy who has had 5 or 6 or them. The only thing with this one is that it lived it's life on the coast side by Half Moon Bay, and there is some corrosion/pitting on the face plate. Other than that though, everything works great, snarls when you turn it up past half way and has an excellent - if very bright - clean tone. Icepick City unless you roll down the tone knob on a Tele. Sounds GREAT with my Duo Jet with Filtertrons set on the 'mud' switch setting, helps even out that rather murky sounding setting. Gonna have to change the original ungrounded plug though, don't want any nasty surprises.

These old Gibson amps can be real bargains, since they don't have the 'name' of say a Fender, but I assure you many of them sound just as good, this is a guy that knows vintage Fenders.....JayDee says check one out if you get a chance.

**Some may say unfair comparison to the iconic Fender Champ/Vibrochamp. 10" v 8" speaker, 10 watts v 5...and it is. Direct comparison is appropriate, I contend. This was Gibby's cheapest amp, and priced competitively with the Champ and the Gibson Skylark (formerly known as the Les Paul amp in the 50's) was the Champs direct competitor. Either way, it blows the Champ into the weeds in a lot of ways and even if priced as it should -300-400, is half the price of a comparable year Fender in the market.

P1130747.jpg

*Nathan, I'm afraid the 'Cuda gonna have to wait awhile.
    Last edited by jaydee; 02-09-2017 at 04:24 AM.

Way cool! I tried a newer but similar Gibson amp a while back.. Sounded absolutely amazing, that kind of drive still isn't in a pedal (or plugin for that matter )
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    www.facebook.com/angeloboltini - Solo Page
    http://www.facebook.com/forthebirdsnl - Band Page

So true NjLo, it's ragged and nasty...in a good way. Never had an OD pedal out of literally dozens and dozens that even really gets that tone. The closest was one of those old time 60's fuzz pedal I had, forget which one now. Might have been a Maestro, but even that one didn't exactly nail it.
    Last edited by jaydee; 02-11-2017 at 04:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread