+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Danelectro Rocky Road (leslie effect) MODDED - Rising from the Ashes...

Default Danelectro Rocky Road (leslie effect) MODDED - Rising from the Ashes...

The Rocky Road rises from the ashes...

Tell you what, I just modded a Danelectro Rocky Road...

...and it's darned good. It's supposedly simulating a vibrotone, not a leslie (vibrotone has no horn?), anyway...

UNmodded, the thing, as widely reported, has too much volume jump, too much gain, too much treble, and too much hiss.

MODDED... this stupid little $40 pedal kicks butt. Seriously. It would never beat my (now sold) beloved Rotosphere in a shootout, but I'll tell you what... 1 resistor and 1 capacitor later, and this little box has me NO LONGER GASSING for a "stop gap" leslie pedal (something that sound good before I drop money on a Lex or another Rotosphere.) And as much as I use the effect, I'm in no hurry to upgrade. It now has unity volume with the gain control at zero, and no added drive with the drive at zero. I have the drive up at about 9:00, just to add a little.

Seriously- I've owned a bunch of 'em (see above), and the MODDED Rocky Road is actually a fave. It's too small, and probably no good for live use because the footswitches are too close together, but the TONE is there. I prefer it to the Behringer, Line6, and even DLS Rotosim (when switching speeds I also had to change a couple controls...too much tweaking).

If anyone is interested, do the mod on this page... the LAST POST (and the picture before it)... the poster did several things to the pedal, and decided what the simplest & best sounding mod was... 1 cap, 1 resistor, in series with a wire (so no trying to solder resistors on the PCB that are the size of poppy seeds.) I'm THOROUGHLY impressed.

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic....e7100&start=20

Pic of the SIMPLE mod:

Re-house it in another box for gigging... or use a loop pedal to bypass it and avoid using the original switch.

That won't really work because there are TWO switches, about an inch and a half apart... one for on/off and one for ramp.

I wouldn't mind a rehouse, but everything is surface mounted, and there are THREE pcbs in there... no thanks.

Ouch surface mount for switching...

Adding a small bypass loop pedal and keeping this one ON on power supply is the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by GloŽbz View Post
    Ouch surface mount for switching...

Adding a small bypass loop pedal and keeping this one ON on power supply is the best option.
    Again, while that would work for on/off, that won't work if you need to use the RAMP footsawitch... and if you go to stomp it, you'll turn the pedal OFF at the same time! Switches are only 1.5" apart, and they are those almost-flush Dano soft switches...

Several of these mini Danos are actually QUITE good (BLT Slap Echo, Tuna Melt Tremolo), but they are just too small if they have more than 1 switch, and it would nice if they weren't soft switches, a regular DPDT switch would no only get rid of the buffer issues, but would give you a positive feel of whether you activated the pedal or not, AND keep your feet off the plastic enclosure.

A re-house would make this pedal VERY GOOD...but it's beyond my talent level. I can solder, but when you're talking about 3 separate PCBs and separating surface-mount switches & pots... for a $40 pedal, I'd spend more re-housing it that I did for the pedal!

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    Again, while that would work for on/off, that won't work if you need to use the RAMP footsawitch...
    Good point... forgot about that part!

Rehousing cost true can bring you up to ~50$ in parts... (~10$ a switch, ~10$ enclosure, ~20$ to cover shipping pots and jacks) Then again maybe there's a market for pimped up Danelectro pedals...

+ Reply to Thread