+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noise Makers

Default Noise Makers

Just read the Alternate Attack article in PG and watched all the videos linked from it...

While I can understand the initial reaction of "what the fuck is that shit"

I can see the point and the artistic angle behind it.

All this actually got me to think I should jump back into this noise making approach I once explored for a couple of months while learning recording and findind different ways of making noises. Was a ton of fun... to me anyway.

So the idea I got from this is maybe we should share noise tricks also on here.
    I'm sure there's others on here who spent some time fooling around with this.
    There's a lot of recordings with some weird noises on them and some are results of these type of explorations... I mean pick noises, faking seagull are common by now (check your EVH records you'll hear them...)

So I'll start with my very own experiments from the past;
    • I did the spring thing of slidind a spring over sme strings and pulling on it for it to go boing and vibrate the strings... wicked with flanger!
    • Wiping a string while stretching it, makes a hi pitch sound but you can use that high pitch noise into a delay loop... and play on top.
    • Pick noises... too many to list!
    • Picking notes uing the pickup to "fret' the notes. Did that a lot in a couple of songs to fake siren noises with some volume swell.
    • Using magnets on top of pickups...
    • Using a scrunchy or to dampened open strings on tapping licks... a classic one actually thsi is more about noise removing that making some but it allows you to get wicked with 8+ fingers tapping.
    • Putting a screwdriver to a pickup... we've all did that at least once(well it seems that obvious to me!)
    • Using a whammy pedal in conjunction with a volume swell(from my volume pot not a pedal) I was abel to do soem fake whistling with my guitar.
    Some of those aren't actually practical to do in the middle of a song on stage... some are! But in a recording context anything goes and that's where I came from in spending some time experimenting with those type of things.

Reading that article made me realise that it's still a valid concept and that heck people are gigging out of this ! I wouldn't have thought it would be valid outside one's music room... but nice to see some of it being out there for everyone to at least consider the approach.
    Last edited by GloŽbz; 09-24-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

I don't usually call it 'noise' per se but I record a lot of sounds that aren't guitaristic.
    Most of the time it's delayed/swelled/modulated/tremelo'd/E-bow'd/overdriven ambiance in a soundtrack.
    Occasionally I 'prepare' my guitar.
    Sometimes I do it in songs. I've posted this before. All the 'sounds' on this track are with a guitar ...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=8439592
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

Cool one remember checking it out...

Any "mechanical" tips to share Ken ?

Reminds me... a cool noise maker is this Jellifish pick.

51bpELyBOWL._SL500_SL160_.jpg

Expose the trem springs on the back of a strat and strum them with a pick. You can do this holding a chord and you'll the spring sound followed by an eerie but in tune harmony.

- A mic stand sounds different than a slide. Cut a fairly long piece of copper pipe (1 foot/30 cm) and use that on the fretboard.
    Rough up with sandpaper (lightly) the surface of the pipe - it catches the strings a little.
    - Attach little metal alligator clips to the strings.
    - Record a random track of feedback (or any other noise) throughout the whole song (or section) and fade it in and out at various points.
    - Backwards tracks via a looper (DL-4 is great for this). Also utilize backwards tracks via the above suggestion.
    - Tune the guitar to the key of the song (some type of 'open' tuning) and then slightly de-tune a few of the strings. Play harmonics with a lot of effects.
    - Do the same thing to an acoustic. Set it up in a guitar stand in the live room. Put a mic in front of it. Let it resonate while you're playing the other electric parts.
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

Quote Originally Posted by klasaine View Post

-Expose the trem springs on the back of a strat and strum them with a pick. You can do this holding a chord and you'll the spring sound followed by an eerie but in tune harmony.
    Yeah another one I used to do... I don't have a tremolo equiped guitar now. This one has been done a lot in live solo spots.

- Attach little metal alligator clips to the strings.
    This one I will definately try !!!

- Do the same thing to an acoustic. Set it up in a guitar stand in the live room. Put a mic in front of it. Let it resonate while you're playing the other electric parts.
    This is even more fun when you do it with a piano or a drum in the room and close mic the acoustic guitar!
    Anyone else ??? come on let's share our noisy messy tricks!

I once recorded a Whammy up octave sound with delay and out came a lot of seagull screaming on a sunset beach.

ALso my former band recorded little children talking on the streets. It made a great intro for a song.

Tom Morello amazes me with his noises.

I once tried to do some radio wave noises with a short wave radio directed towards my pickups. Fail miserably.

One of my faves is a three note natural harmonic sound around 10 or 11th fret of the G. B E high strings and then dive bombing with tremolo into a multiple descending surrounding sound. The effect is made by the 3 natural harmonics separated and distinctive frequencies clashing and diving at the same time. VInnie Moore does the same thing on his ALbum Time Odyssey song "Race with Destiny". (1998)

Quote Originally Posted by rologibson View Post
    I once recorded a Whammy up octave sound with delay and out came a lot of seagull screaming on a sunset beach.
    That's the type of thing I do with pick noises... you put the pick on its side to the strings and move it aroudn in circle against the strings. Simple as that... add delay and it gets wicked fast!

You can get to the point of making R2-D2 type of noises only with your pick moving on the strings when you start getting the hang of it.

I like to play behind the slide...adding effects on top adds to the weirdness
    there are cool twisted toy piano sounds hiding behind the nut and between the bridge and tailpiece...

I was making some wonderfully wack-tastic sounds with my Ab-synth's occilation side and my volume/tone knobs Friday night...made John the Relelator fun...hahha
    "My son, guitar obssesion is not an ill...it is a blessing. As are the nudy photos...hahaha...Halleluiah" - Reverend Murphy

Had VH Fair Warning playing while I was cleaning the inside of the car today... daughter dancing and headbanging all along thank you!

Anyway... low and behold... tons of creative pick noises on that whole album. For people looking for a quick easy reference listen to that whole album which we all probably have

+ Reply to Thread