+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fulltone Soul-Bender Mk II Video

Default Fulltone Soul-Bender Mk II Video

Kiler clips by Mike

I have one of the older ones. Does this new have any significant differences, other than size?

Got mine! I like it. What i remember the older was was, if not better. I thought the range on the Tone knob was improved

More MkII's coming out these days... what we need is a shootout:

Fulltone Soul-Bender
    Throback Stone Bender
    Retro-Channel The Fuzz
    ...doesn't JMI make one too? Who else?

I got my Soul Bender mk.2 friday afternoon.

I of course had to compare it to my DAM mk.II pro ('66 - '68 Solasound TB) ...
    which is not a real 'comparison' because as Mike Fuller states his re-vamped SB is based on a mk.III ('68 - '70. 3 germ trannys - I assume with more gain?).

I used a Tele and my fave SF Princeton. Again not necessarily the best or most common way to utilize a TB style pedal ... but it's how I do it. So if anyone's interested ...

I got the Fulltone and the DAM very close to one another on this/these settings:
    DAM mk.II - Level at 11:00, Attack at 5:00 (full up)
    Fulltone SB v.II - Vol at 1:00, Dirt at 5:00, Tone at 4:00 or 4:30.

OK, so that's the comparison of two pedals that aren't supposed to be the same thing.
    To my ears I was never able to exactly mimic any tone on either unit with any combination of settings.
    Output on both pedals is similar and both are super quiet for a fuzz pedal. The closest I got tonally was on the 'full up' sound for both.

*I did not adjust the internal trimmer on the Fulltone.

The new Fulltone is a great TB. It's very versatile as those type of fuzzes go. The tone control works really well - buzzier and spittier in the counterclockwise area and thicker and juicier in the clockwise area. With a lot in between.

That being said, the DAM (in my rig) is richer with more mids and harmonic stuff going on in the 'attack' full up position. It seems to sing a little more.
    But, so far at home, I liked the Fulltone better on chords and chuncky/fat rhythm playing - it is more defined (most likely due to a little less low mids?).

So for now, generally ... DAM mk.II I like more for it's full up lead tone, Fulltone SB for big rhythm.

And who knows ... Different rigs, temperatures, playing/recording situations etc. can totally change all that.
    Last edited by klasaine; 09-17-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

I got one of these cool gadgets the other day. I used it for the first time today at "band practice" Yup, in quotation marks. The Soulbender is pretty amazing. It's actually my first Fulltone pedal. I was in a very fuzzy mood, so I ran a Catalinbread Merkin/fuzzrite derivative, into the SoulBender. Guitar was Marie, my Heritage "Les Paul" fitted with Wagner Fillmores. Marie was kinda sorta named after my best friend. I don't know if I've ever mentioned to you guys that my best friend is actually a lady. (I can make fun of myself.) Amp was the Marshall Class 5 that you gentlemen gave me. Way cool little amp. The bandleader wants to get one now.

I had my volume set kinda low, actually, since it was just the two of us at practice today. My tone was killer. I had so much fun playing it that way. I do a lot of those Billy Gibbons fake harmonics, without even thinking about it anymore, and the SB made them jump out and scare ya.

Sometime next week, I should be getting some new picks. This time around, they're not to plug the Fuzzballs. I have one design with a Santa hat, that reads something like "How about some white chocolate, macadamia nut cookies, this year?" and another design with a whiskey glass, and the text "Single Malt Tone". Both styles are Ultem .92mm small teardrop shaped. If you want a couple, email me at spdave59@live.com and if you want Fuzzball picks, email Wam Fuzzball at fuzzballs@cox.net Wam still has a few, I understand.
    Sick fuzz & cowboy hats.
    http://www.geocities.com/magicfoot04/

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhoenixDave View Post
    Sometime next week, I should be getting some new picks. This time around, they're not to plug the Fuzzballs. I have one design with a Santa hat, that reads something like "How about some white chocolate, macadamia nut cookies, this year?" and another design with a whiskey glass, and the text "Single Malt Tone". Both styles are Ultem .92mm small teardrop shaped. If you want a couple, email me at spdave59@live.com and if you want Fuzzball picks, email Wam Fuzzball at fuzzballs@cox.net Wam still has a few, I understand.
    You have mail

I saw that, Ben. As soon as I have them, I'll start letting folks know. So, if you have one of the ones with Wam Fuzzball, taking up the entire area of the pick, that's the material, shape and thickness of the new picks. I seem to have found my pick preference.
    Sick fuzz & cowboy hats.
    http://www.geocities.com/magicfoot04/

Yeah I have both Wam picks

+ Reply to Thread