+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bias Vary Trem

Default Bias Vary Trem

anyone have any thoughts on who is building a bias vary trem pedal as found in early vibro champs and princetons?

pedal format? is it being done?

Bias trem is a good thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUhWuPTBIfo

I thought the 'Swamp Thang' pedal was considered to be ' bias trem'-like pedal... No 1st hand experience though...
    Kick out the jams!!

Any "transistor-based" trem, I believe, puts out a sine wave, and is supposed to be the closest to the tube-bias-vary-trem. Swamp Thang, Malekko Trem, BYOC, etc.

There is only one bias vary TUBE trem pedal that I know of; the OLC Circuits Darth Fader. I think you can either buy a kit or buy it pre-built, but I have heard horror stories about lack of communication and super-long waits. And no good demos anywhere either.

BTW- just because a trem pedal has a tube in it doesn't mean it uses the tube as part of the trem circuit; the Guyatone Flip Trem is a good box, but Guyatone has never confirmed if the tube is used in the trem circuit, which means it's not. Ditto for Effectrode Delta-Trem- the tubes function, but it's an opto cell doing the actual "tremulating"... the Delta, regardless of design, is supposed to be very close to tube bias trem too. So far, imo, the 3 best pedal options for getting that kind of trem out of a pedal are the Swamp Thang (run at 12V if possible), the Malekko, and the Delta-Trem.

The Swamp THang is the best and the worst trem all in one pedal.
    I have seen all sorts of issues, like popping and voltage bleeding into the input jack tip, thanks to poor design.
    The ST is a bufferless Diaz Tremodillo pedal basically.

I do love the sound of it and the design I had been messing with trying to correct the input and output impedance issues.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    The Swamp THang is the best and the worst trem all in one pedal.

I do love the sound of it and the design I had been messing with trying to correct the input and output impedance issues.....
    please continue on your messing mission.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post

George, if you manage that, please keep me in mind for beta testing!! I've been playing the old version (2-speed) ST for a couple years now, I've been thru them all and it's my favorite. The new ST is ok, sounds good- but only has the faster side speed, and I love the ability for the older version to go slower...really slow. Not many trem pedals do slow, but I find it very useful, especially as a textural "always on" type thing. I hope if you manage to re-work it you leave the 2-speed design.

I tried the Diaz, apparently they have been built buy a few different people, and they can be very different from one another... the one I tried was a new one, and I didn't like it much. Maybe it was the buffer...

Also FYI- the Malekko Omicron trem absolutely KILLS. If it had a 2-speed design, I would have kept it over the ST.

+ Reply to Thread