+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do so may pedals have a ridiculous amount of volume boost?

Default Why do so may pedals have a ridiculous amount of volume boost?

Seriously -what good is it to have so much volume on tap? Does anyone actually use it? Personally, I can't see how you would want to go much above unity gain when you stomp on a pedal or it will clash with your clean/dry sound. Am I missing something? If I have to keep the volume below 9 o'clock, why not use a more appropriate pot value so that there is a usable range? I only ask because it has been the trend in 99% of the pedals I have tried and I still don't get it...
    -meedley meedley woooOOOo-

I agree! I like pedals to come on at unity or slightly above. I suspect boosting volume is an easy thing to do and gives the impression the pedal is doing oh so much

When you have that much volume boost on tap it tends to be a little harder to really dial in the sweet spot. I've never needed 20 db of boost. and I agree, less volume and a more gradual taper is more usable.

+1 - definitely an annoying 'feature', particularly for the reason Jaydee mentions.

I'd like to hear from builders why most modern ODs have SO much volume on tap. If there's a legit reason? - awesome.
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

I feel the same way when playing at home, but pretty much the opposite for live work. Maybe it's just the wide variety of situations I find myself in... small rooms, big rooms, weird rooms, small amps, big amps, acoustic-electric/DI/PA, duo jobs, loud blues rock bands, Americana bands at moderate volumes, no monitors, lousy monitor mix, monitor mix too stark and present, heavy hitting rhythm sections, etc., etc....

What seems like three different volume/gain levels from gain stomps at home can feel more like unity gain at the gig, depending upon all the variables involved of course, particularly when compression (from amp or pedal or whatever) is a player. Perceived volume is a big factor for live.

I get into trouble with stomps that DON'T have enough output/headroom, not the reverse. My take is that it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

By the way, I'm only on the internet once in a blue moon these days. Hope all you guys are doing well.

Good to read from you again Corleone! You haven't missed much, it's been slow.

I do understand about live situations. One case in point is my Kingsley Jouster which sounded great at home but when I got to church, the sound guy kept telling me to turn up more. It got to 12 o'clock but I was completely surprised that I could goose the volume to that point and it didn't overpower anything in the band. Now you're probably thinking that this experience should have answered my own question, but this level was ridiculously high. On the other hand, my Red Rooster clone does NOT have a ton of volume boost, just enough. I just wonder if anyone can explain this? Compression? Where the guitar sits in the mix EQ-wise? I know every pedal under the sun sounds best with the volume cranked, much like an amp, but practically speaking it shouldn't need to. Here I go getting theoretical again...
    -meedley meedley woooOOOo-

A legitimate question here!
    Nobody special.

I played in uncountable different sized rooms/ outside, etc. A loud pedal is a loud pedal IMO.

I guess the reasoning behind it is so you can can get a loud clean boost. But I never use overdrives as clean boosts...

Most overdrives have more than usable levels. I remember when I got my Paisley Drive, I thought something was wrong because I had the volume set past 12:00! Usually my overdrive vol is set at around 9:00....

It's just giving you more options. Don't turn up the volume so loud.
    Like jaydee said, it's tougher to dial-in, but once you're there, you're in.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY SELLING: http://www.musictoyzforums.com/showt...096#post359096

-More discourse, less intercourse.

-A critic is to an artist as an ornithologist is to a bird.

+ Reply to Thread