+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duncan tapped 1/4 lb!

Default Duncan tapped 1/4 lb!

Hah! I have a nerdy pickup fetish. It's just one of those things I can't explain. It's the heart & soul of electric guitar along with amplification!

I finally tried a quarter pound pickup after YEARS of curiosity. Something else I never tried was a tap. I built a 52 Hot Rod inspired tele recently with a mini hum in the neck and the underwound Fralin SP42 at the bridge could not keep up. Enter the 1/4 lb. Tapped for Tele STL-3T! I did my homework, read tons of reviews online and bit the bullet. I already had 500k pots in the tele and I am pleasantly surprised!

The low output is thin but matches with the mini hum. Full output is more than the mini hum but not as insane as reviews make it sound. Its dark and I suspect 250k pots would sound crappy. However, fatness is the operative word and combined with a 4-way switch this gives the tele options, dude! It probably helps that the guitar is super lightweight and lively acoustically. So all in all I'd recommend this pickup for sure and I don't understand the reviews which state it doesn't sound tele-like when tapped. There might be better refined boutique offerings out there, but this is a mighty fine pickup! I absolutely LOVE the SM-1 at the neck by the way! So interesting to listen to, Fender did well to put it in their 52 Hot Rod... And I also LOVE Gotoh locking Klusons! By far my favorite tuners out there. Can you tell I'm a happy camper?
    Last edited by Nathan; 08-06-2011 at 03:14 AM.
    -meedley meedley woooOOOo-

Worth knowing and sharing !

Cool!

I remember seeing some circuit a couple of years back on the interwebs that had a 5-way rotary switch select between I believe series, parallel, series out of phase, split one side and split the other side IIRC. Maybe worth digging into

I tried a De Gier guitar at North Sea Jazz that was kind of a PRS-ish model. Its neck humbucker could be wired in parallel by pulling out the tone knob. That sound was really nice! A lot more open than most neck buckers. They sound too muddy most of the time by themselves imo when used in anything except jazz..
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    www.facebook.com/angeloboltini - Solo Page
    http://www.facebook.com/forthebirdsnl - Band Page

Actually a tapped single coil works different from tapped humbuckers! You can't do those tricks on this pickup. The best way to get those combinations with humbuckers is using Duncan Triple Shot rings!
    -meedley meedley woooOOOo-

I also love the QP!

I've had one in my old Squier since the mid 80's, and really like how it sounds overdriven. Almost like a Soapbar, and fat sounding. Of course, you gotts keep it pretty far down, close to the Pickguard. Those huge magnets can pull on the Strings if you're not careful.

I've always assumed the Rio Grande Muy Grandes were a similar deal.

http://www.myspace.com/littlerockguitar

"Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10 AM. All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall, after the B.S. is done."

After thinking about wiring ideas, I bet the Mid-Cut would work extremely well with the QP. Lots of Mids in that PU, and would probably make for a pretty substantial amount of variations.

http://www.myspace.com/littlerockguitar

"Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10 AM. All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall, after the B.S. is done."

+ Reply to Thread