+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird tube noise on specific note

Default Weird tube noise on specific note

I'm using a Maz jr 18 combo w/ reverb

When I play a C# on the g string or d string, I get a low growl type hum underneath the note. It's not that loud but it's deep and it's there.

I've had the amp for about 2 years and have never changed the tubes. I am ordering new tubes tomorrow, just thought I'd throw that out there incase anyone has any knowledge on the matter.

Thanks!

Possibly ghosting of the notes? But sure you know about that issue...
    Low growl...try seating them, or taking out and wiping the pins.
    But, my best guess tube going bad. They'll start doing doing goofy things when they are going out, the growl is more than likely a power tube.
    2012...Let's do this

Quote Originally Posted by JackButler View Post
    Possibly ghosting of the notes? But sure you know about that issue...
    Low growl...try seating them, or taking out and wiping the pins.
    But, my best guess tube going bad. They'll start doing doing goofy things when they are going out, the growl is more than likely a power tube.
    What's ghosting of the notes? Thanks for the response by the way.

That's typically what it's called when a preamp tube goes microphonic. Actually sorta cool, in an effect type of way. Can't explain it until you experience it, but it kind of freaks you out as when I've had it happen it sorta comes and goes.
    Thing is, if you've used the amp for that long, you know when something isn't right.
    Damn tube gremlins!
    What amp is it btw?
    2012...Let's do this

Oops, ghosting (duh, just thought) is kind of like a an octavia when your playing higher notes.
    2012...Let's do this

Cool. Sounds like new tubes should do the trick. (hopefully!)

More than likely you have a bad preamp tube Mike. If that doesn't do it try the powertubes. If that doesn't do it, it's junk. I'll buy it.

In Tennessee we call that "mojo"

Ghostnotes are typically caused by too low filter capacity or the power supply, and are mostly harmonics UNDER the note you're playing. You can hear it in low filtered amps when they are cranked (like my early Super Bass) or when the powersupply capacitors need to be replaced.

Since you have a 'modern' amp and it's relatively new, I think it's a tube issue. EL84's wear out quicker than most other power tubes in my experience, but luckily they are cheaper too
    Kick out the jams!!

I had a similar thing happen for a while with my Bandmaster Reverb. It happened when I'd play a B on the E or A or D string. Never did figure out what it was though. I took it to an amp tech and it wouldn't do it for him. I had the amp apart for another reason and when I put it back together it didn't do it any more. Not much help, I know.

+ Reply to Thread