+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuzzes...more specifically Tonebender MKII derivatives

Default Fuzzes...more specifically Tonebender MKII derivatives

Ok been looking for a fuzz as a change of pace pedal and have been through a bunch and tried a bunch more at the recent Euro Tone Fest...none of em did it for me...

I started researching and came up with some sounds from a Tonebender MKII that might work for me...there seem to be derivatives which are somebodys rendition with some changes or twists to the circuit and the faithgul vintage recreations...I've owned a Fulltone Soulbender which was a bit too warm and bloated for my tastes but I might revisit the SB2 when it becomes avaliable...

I listened to the D*A*M (unobtainium and cost prohibitive) ...JMI...Pigdog...Skinpimp...Monsterpiece and many more clips and they all sound very nice...warm and fat but they give me the feeling that they won't cut in a band mix which is the problem I've had with a lot of fuzzes...fat...bloated...warm and they tend to disappear...then there are the ones that are too bright which hurt or just plain sound awful with my setup like the Proanalog MkII

Enter the Throbak Stonebender and I know it isn't an exact replica but based on the following clip I get the feeling this might work for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfT17jE-ht8

Chow,
    Seegs
    Last edited by Seegs; 07-02-2011 at 08:42 AM.

I had one and liked it alot. I was able to get some cool Jimi style sound with it-

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7633735

I too really like the Throbak.
    Even though I just got a DAM mk.II pro I'm keeping the Stonebender.
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

Thx guys...nice tone in the clip Carl...finding one over here is another story...importing it puts it in the JMI territory pricewise...

I'm watching a Hudson Stroll on right now...most of the clips sound a bit warm and fat but nice...this particular one has AC128 Ge trannies for more treble response

Also listened to one by Lumpy's Tone Shop which I liked...

If I could find a Stonebender over here I'd snap it up in a heartbeat...

Chow,
    Seegs

I've heard that the Vox tonebender had a trebley-er sound, might give more "cut"...
    "My son, guitar obssesion is not an ill...it is a blessing. As are the nudy photos...hahaha...Halleluiah" - Reverend Murphy

If you want a derivative with good EQing, check out the EarthQuaker Tone Reaper (one knob - less treble more bass to the left - more treble less bass to the right). Very managable.

V

Thx VS...will check that out...have been listening to tons of clips and right now the front runners are a Hudson Stroll On and a Skinpimp Mki-iii...not sure which one yet.

Also gonna check out a Fuzzfaceless mki which I've just heard about...supposedly this one doesn't favor single clips and actually sounds great with hums or singles...clips were killin...

I'm...as of yesterday...accidently on the waiting list for a D*A*M Professional Mkii...should be ready in about a year...

Chow,
    Seegs

Ghosteffects makes some nice 'uns too...(MK I under $200 shipped from UK)
    http://www.ghosteffects.co.uk/
    Fuzzfaceless stuff is awesome sounding AND incredibely cool looking...
    I hoping to either score a used Lumpy's or order one from Ghosteffects later in the year
    I would also check out the Fuzz from Retrochannel ...so you can tell me how it sounds....haha
    "My son, guitar obssesion is not an ill...it is a blessing. As are the nudy photos...hahaha...Halleluiah" - Reverend Murphy

Thx HM...listened to the GE clips and I have to say that the Fuzzfaceless and Skinpimp Mki's are both rockin my world...

We had John Stax's Retro Channel Fuzz here and I didn't really bond with it...

The concept and clips are very cool but didn't really sound like that in my studio...

Chow,
    Seegs

I agree whole heartedly...The Skinpimp esp. makes me wanna rock out with my (deleted) out!
    thanx on the Retro info...Gotta say the new "not of this earth"graphics on the Skinpimp are great too...what are the Fuzzfaceless(just Faceless Fx now I believe) running pricewise? They are all works of pedal art...
    I'm always (obliviously) impressed when somebody can put together a whole package. Sound is the thing but...DAMN!

+ Reply to Thread