+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Live guitars: eq question.

Icon14 Live guitars: eq question.

Long time no talk guys. So I was just at the u2 concert last week and Lenny Kravitz opened up for them. And the entire time I couldn't help but notice how bright the guitars were, the Edge especially Ofc but even Lennys guitar player as well.
    Question is, do they eq it this way just for super big venues? I couldn't imagine standing in front of an amp that bright without it ripping my head off. A few sounds had more meat but it seemed to be all in the upper midrange, treble area. Your thoughts.
    "Let us pray to the gods of rock..."

With today advanced technology there is no excuse in having a P.A. system sounding too bright or too bassy other than poor mic positioning or bad mix eq taste. Just because a player has the biggest rack system or pedalboard still the tweaking for a good sound has to be done with taste.

Big time artists also have to deal with tone search and room/practice room tones vrs amplified tone. Both players Kravitz and The Edge have pop inclinations. Specially the Edge he abuses Delay effect, no wonder he can have bad gigs as well as good ones.

Soundcheck is vital and it has to be done on each stage/arena. I am such a tone nerd that I would insist on doing my own sound check, but today big shots commonly have guitar techs doing it for them.

A lot of times it's for a better mix.. Check out the Foo Fighters, how thin each individual guitar sounds, but when they're all together it's a wall of noise!

Maybe big arenas benefit from brightness though, as bright sounds tend to sound closer and not as muddy with the whole arena ambience.
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    www.facebook.com/angeloboltini - Solo Page
    http://www.facebook.com/forthebirdsnl - Band Page

The usual eq bad apple is usually the Bass instrument, or the Bass drum. If those two have too much woofiness then the whole band will sound bassy. Having a band sound good depends ond frequencies being separated.

+ Reply to Thread