+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new strat wiring

Default My new strat wiring

So I put a new partscaster strat together recently but only got to try her out using pedals today. I used 2 Hot Gold Lace sensors in the neck and bridge because they sound excellent with dirt and have low noise. The quack positions usually don't sound convincing with Sensors, so I tried a real single coil (Am. Std.) in the middle (a position I never use alone) to get closer to the real quack and it works. Typically, a lace sensor sounds about 90% like a real single coil, so figure the in-between positions are more like 0.9 x 0.9 = 0.81 or 81% authentic sounding.

Next I did a Jimmy Vaughn wiring to keep the tone pot on the bridge instead of the middle. It gives more spank to the middle and tames the treble of the bridge. Again, trying to get a more real quack sound. Used a vintage 0.022 Vitamin Q cap here.

Last, I added a passive midrange control like this one:
    http://www.guitar-mod.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=MID

I like to always have something funky on each of my guitars, and this was a first for me. I thought about a Varitone but they often sound nasal, loss of output and not that practical. I thought about a Clapton style active boost but didn't want to put a battery onboard. I've had a modified TBX but didn't want that this time so I built this using parts I had hanging around. What's cool about this one is that there is the impression of a mid boost with the pot full up. In reality it's a roll off in treble and bass, then as you sweep through it takes out the mids. You don't hear a whole lot playing clean, but with dirt everything is accentuated. The little things that make us like or dislike a sound usually reside in the mids and having some subtle control onboard is handy. I find it really effective with my Jouster and the flexible tone of the Hot Golds is increased with this. The mini toggle turns it on or off.

So I just wanted to report on a passive option that doesn't break the bank yet offers up a MUCH more useful control in the second slot of a strat over stock wiring and some of the more limited efforts out there.

And I'm also pretty proud of the color scheme:

'00 Sherwood Green AVRI body, mahogay and ebony USACG neck, Callaham bridge, etc.
    Last edited by Nathan; 06-25-2011 at 12:35 AM.
    -meedley meedley woooOOOo-

Very nice! Very very nice!
    Nobody special.

OK so the big question for me is... are positions 2 and 4 hum-cancelling.

Also did you use a RWRP middle pickup?

I currently use Bill lawrence L-200 noiseless pickups. They are solid and i would say about 90 % of real singles (less bass and treble & more mids). The quack is good but could be better. I never use the middle pickup alone either but I don't think you can use a real single coil middle pickup with the BL's and get hum-cancelling in 2 & 4.

So I'm thinking since laces are actually true singles as opposed to stacked HB's that this might actually work and get closer to real strat tone with almost no noise.

Great looking guitar Nathan! Those mid controls can be very nice. I put one like that (I think it came from Griblin) in my Yamaha Weddington (think Les Paul with more options). I ended up modding it to just cut mids, since the guitar had plenty of mids. It gave the guitar a lot of nice tonal options. Clean, I could get an almost acoustic like tone with the mids pull down. I ended up converting that guitar to a master volume control, with bass, mid and treble cut controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    And I'm also pretty proud of the color scheme
    You have my +1 on that for sure !

What's the finish on the neck?

Nice!!

I use a Torres Mid-Cut on my Strat. But, I may be interested in the type you have on your new axe. Might be nice to "Boost" the Mids once in awhile.

http://www.myspace.com/littlerockguitar

"Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10 AM. All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall, after the B.S. is done."

Not sure what the Jimmy Vaughn mod is.Is it any different than just moving the middle pickup[ tone wire to the bridge?? That is something I learned in the 60's my Dad did the mod for me to get my bridge pickup on my strat(1960 SB paid $125 ) to be able to mother up like my SG Gibson.Then putting slotted plastic pieces on the three way switch at both ends with the two screws.Turn the plastic in and wala in between strat sounds.This mod with the tone control still allows you to have tone on the middle pickup for the in between positions. In treble position 2, bottom tone works on middle,in Neck position 4, neck tone works on Middle. I have a mid boost in a 62ri strat,gets it just fat enough..
    I'm a Musician.I care more about what comes out of the box than what is in it.

LESS EBAY MORE MEL BAY

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Band-O...43055445737011

bandofthieves -you're bang on, it moves the tone control to the bridge.

Ben -the finish is satin nitro.

fender bender -yep hum canceling, for the most part anyway -the Sensors kill some hum to begin with so there isn't as much to balance off the regular middle pickup. I had some BL's too (L280/L200/L298). I got the best singe coil tone from the L200 by far. They never really did it for me however though I was very impressed with the L298 with dirt. 'm thinking real single coil is better than any stack on the market.

My next project is to copy the Suhr BPSS which has great reviews!
    Last edited by Nathan; 07-03-2011 at 04:29 AM.
    -meedley meedley woooOOOo-

awe-frickin'-some!
    "My son, guitar obssesion is not an ill...it is a blessing. As are the nudy photos...hahaha...Halleluiah" - Reverend Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    bandofthieves -you're bang on, it moves the tone control to the bridge.

Ben -the finish is satin nitro.

fender bender -yep hum canceling, for the most part anyway -the Sensors kill some hum to begin with so there isn't as much to balance off the regular middle pickup. I had some BL's too (L280/L200/L298). I got the best singe coil tone from the L200 by far. They never really did it for me however though I was very impressed with the L298 with dirt. 'm thinking real single coil is better than any stack on the market.

My next project is to copy the Suhr BPSS which has great reviews!
    Satin... my favorite with oil. Must feels really right !

+ Reply to Thread