+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klon Klone testing

Default Klon Klone testing

OK, I went ahead and bought a Klon kit from buildyourownklonclone.com and this came with bags of parts to stick into the board. The only thing missing was the diodes. The board itself didn't have any silk screening on the top so figuring out what went where was a bit of a chore. The holes in the pcb weren't great either...meaning they didn't line up.

Next up was a board from the Sunking guy over at Freestompboxes forum.
    This board was done right and while the parts were a bit tight it wasn't too bad.
    The board itself was high quality and much better than the BYOKC, pos.

So I built the two and tested them out.
    The BYOKC kit sucked as did the mid humped sound. I didn't go through it to figure out what he did wrong but something isn't quite right.
    The Sunking sounds really good and I am going to compare it to a real Klon shortly.
    Over all I think the Sunking distortion probably sounds better than the Klon but this is only from my memory of the unit.

So, if you are thinking about building yourself a Klone I suggest the Sunking board.
    The Sunking board is also a little smaller than the BYOKC board.

Here is what the Sunking guts look like.
    I will take a pic of the BYOKC later and post that one so you can see the difference in board quality.
    Klone guts.jpg

Few weeks back I ordered a Klon clone too for my 2nd board. I don't remember the name of which one I bought.. lol.. but I'll do a comparison with my real Klon when it gets here... Should be very interesting...

I hope it gets here before the 'Euro Tone Fest' 25th of June.. So the other corksnif...err..guys can hear it too
    Kick out the jams!!

The real Klon does have a mid hump... not as bad as a TS, but definitely there. Actually, I thought it sounded alot like the King Of Tone with regards to it's mids signature, and the KOT is reportedly just a slightly-modded Marshall Bluesbreaker.

I need to re-learn to solder...
    "My son, guitar obssesion is not an ill...it is a blessing. As are the nudy photos...hahaha...Halleluiah" - Reverend Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by John Stax View Post
    Few weeks back I ordered a Klon clone too for my 2nd board. I don't remember the name of which one I bought.. lol.. but I'll do a comparison with my real Klon when it gets here... Should be very interesting...

I hope it gets here before the 'Euro Tone Fest' 25th of June.. So the other corksnif...err..guys can hear it too
    Euro Tone Fest?!
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    www.facebook.com/angeloboltini - Solo Page
    http://www.facebook.com/forthebirdsnl - Band Page

wiring.jpg
    boards offered.jpg
    box top.jpg

OK here is what the build your own tone guy is offering.
    First off he steals Bill Finnegan's pedal name and design and follows up with a classy stealing of the BYOC name idea as well.
    Follow this up by advertising boards production PCBs and sending out proto type boards.
    This guy actually posted the inside pix as if someone would have been impressed by it all....it's a wiring freak show...LOL
    So, copy the Klon box layout even though you are trying to save pedal board space and you can be fairly well sure we are dealing with a total rocket scientist.

Last night I AB'ed to a real Klon and this pedal really didn't compare. It is possible there were mistakes in the proto board that I had received but I am so unimpressed with it all that I rather run the pedal over with a steam roller than spend the time trouble shooting it.....although I just might anyway....LOL

I will post pix, in a little while, of the board I had received along with gut shots of a real Klon so you can see the difference between Bill F's work and the pathetic attempt at copying Bill's work.
    Last edited by Geodude; 05-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.

byot board.jpg
    Notice this BYOT board is a proto board and not the silk screened board advertised.

Sunking board.jpg
    The Sunking board....much better quality!

Klon_Centaur_2.jpg
    The Klon build...nice, neat and works as it should!

Test peds gut shot.jpg
    The two test peds to be AB'ed to the real deal Klon.
    The verdict?
    OK, as I had thought the build your own tone pedal didn't sound like the Klon and while this is most likely due to a mistake in the proto board I suggest skipping this kit altogether!
    If I had to guess the BYOT guy built his board off of V.1 from the freestompboxes web site and that one had errors....what a total dope!

The Sunking was nuts on sound wise, very good quality board and the way to go if you want to build yourself a Klon for fun. I had the V.3 board for my test.

great stuff george. the first guy sounds either naive, a rip, or just trying to cash in. when you say the sunking was "nuts on sound wise" does it also react/interact in the same way the Klon does?

We had the clone on the board with the Klon as well as other pedals and played through a Fender Deluxe Reverb, Super Reverb and a pair of Marshalls. I would say it did react/interact in the same way.

For guitars we used a G&L Legacy, Ibanez Jem, Gibson Les Paul and a 335
    All nice guitars and the amps were vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    great stuff george. the first guy sounds either naive, a rip, or just trying to cash in. when you say the sunking was "nuts on sound wise" does it also react/interact in the same way the Klon does?
    If you want I could let you try it out yourself....

+ Reply to Thread