+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Reverb re-issue

Default Super Reverb re-issue

Hi,

There is a Super Reverb RI on private sale very near to where I live. These things are expensive in the UK (and vintage even more so), it's apparently in mint condition and I think I have a good chance of getting it for just over half the price of a new one (they cost abut 1400 BP = 2300 US dollars) ... I expect to negotiate about 750 BP for it.

I want Fender clean tones to be heard over loud drummers (think very loud, using 60's kits) without being mic'd up. I also want tremolo and reverb and preferably an amp that can handle bass duties when needed so this seems a good choice.

My friend has a vintage 65 SR and it sounds heavenly and still sounded great a lower volumes with what I would call a 'punchy' drummer, when I go to test it out, I'm assuming that I won't be able to properly crank it anyway so I think I'll be able to assess whether it works well enough on those duties when I test it. In terms of overdrive and things to add dirt, I don't have money to spend on new pedals, but my current pedals I THINK will work well (Eternity, COT, Hot Silicon Fuzz, CCII with germanium fuzz).

So I guess my question are:

- any recommendations for what I should look out for when I go to test it ... it's all stock as far as I know. I'm going to ask what kind of usage it has had to try and guess whether the speakers will warm up a bit more through use

- is this amp actually likely to require mods to get the best out of it (something I'm not keen on)

- am I missing a trick here? are there other amps that will fulfill the duties required (as mentioned above) that I should save up and hold out for, or I could get for cheaper, or that would be more portable?

My other amps are: 18 watt 1974 marshall (lovely clean tone, marshall distortion when pushed, great tremolo, but not loud enough to jam with in a lot of situations, certainly not with a clean tone), Matamp series 2000 (lovely, but too precious to cart around for lots of jams and gigs, also the clean tone is not loud ebough for my purposes), 70's Orange Matamp (absoloute beast, workhorse, uncompressed mid heavy Hi-Watt esque tones which stay clean very loud, but isn't a fender type clean and very awkward to travel with due to weight of head and need for 2 x 12 cabinet).

Finally, the genres of music I play and the tones I like are geared toward more classic and retro sounds ...

This is likely to be my only gear purchase for the next 18 months - 2 years, so I want to cover all bases before commiting.

Thanks

Super Reverbs are great amps AND plenty loud. I have a vintage one, don't have a lot of experience with the reissues.

Things to look at out for: play it soft and loud, listen for rattles and what not, are the speakers holding up at louder volumes, do all the controls work (test tremolo and reverb at extremes.. no motorboating etc), tap tubes for excessive microphonics, is the cabinet structurally sound..

Super Reverb generally dont need mods.. One mod is the pull the first pre-amp tube of the 'normal' channel to give a bit of extra 'oomph', a push-pull pot to totally disengage the tremolo circuit (which sucks a bit of tone) is also popular.. but nothing major...

I don't particularly like the speakers in the re-issues, but that's personal.

The Super Reverb can have a bit more treble content than your other amps, so some pedals that sound great with british voiced amps might not gel with the SR. Especially fuzzes.

Hope this helps.
    Kick out the jams!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Stax View Post
    tap tubes for excessive microphonics
    Thanks John ... I've never done this before. I'm guessing that I should tap the tubes whilst the amp is running to test the quality of the tubes? ... but what should I expect to hear from a healthy tube vs. one with excessive microphonics?

Healthy tube you just hear the tap, unhealthy tube a prolonged ring or static following the tap.
    Kick out the jams!!

They're kinda heavy 65lbs-about 30 kilos. In the states you can get a silverface SR for the same price as a reissue so I'd advise that but that may not be the case in Britain. The usual upgrades would be better tubes and speakers, but they sound fine as is. Going up the Fender combo amp 'foodchain', it's the first amp you get to IMHO that you can gig with in pretty much the loudest environments-and although rated the same wattage approx as the Vibrolux or Pro Reverb, that amp will stay cleaner longer (and get LOUDER as well) hence it's gig worthiness.
    Last edited by jaydee; 05-07-2011 at 12:59 AM.

From a very reliable source.....'don't buy reissue anything'

I took his advice and bought a vintage SR and really glad I did.
    There really is no comparison because there isn't a mod known to man that would make a RI sound as good as my vintage SR.

I realize you are going by price but you are better off saving you money for the real deal.
    Probably not what you want to hear and I don't want to sound like a dick but that's just the way it is....

I think the Super will fit your needs very well.
    I really like John's advice on how to check it out. It's the same things I do.
    Like George, I also like the idea of a vintage one over reissue. But this opportunity has presented itself.
    If you like the amp and can get it for a price that you can resell it at without losing a lot,
    then my advice is to go for it. If it turns out you like it, you can work your way towards something vintage
    or something boutique that uses the same circuit.
    But knowing your style a bit, I think the amp might be good fit for you.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY SELLING: http://www.musictoyzforums.com/showt...096#post359096

-More discourse, less intercourse.

-A critic is to an artist as an ornithologist is to a bird.

Thanks everyone.

The guy has had no bids on eBay and the auction ends in 8 hours or so, he appear to live 5 minutes up the road so so I have e mailed him asking to pop round my guitar and check it out.

I'll take my eternity with me and if I can coax out some sweet tones at lower (recording level) volumes I'll begin negotiations.

If I have a lingering doubt in my mind then I'll carry on saving for the real thing ... but that is likely to cost 2 grand (BP) ... and no Geodude, you def don't sound like a d*ck ... there's no point in heavy compromise with tonal issues.

Currently, I only get 1.5 days or so at home per week and things are likely to stay that way for the next 6 months or so. My wife has sold the double bed from the spare room and I am slowly starting the process of putting together my musical room. Whilst, I'm not in a rush, if it does sound good enough this may be a good opportunity.

FWIW I'm in the camp 'vintage of reissue' too (if properly serviced and doesn' t have the Ox'fart' speakers)
    Kick out the jams!!

The amp sounded great. Could only play it to '4' on each channel ... he'll bring it my place next week and we'll open her up, if that is good we agreed a price of 750 BP which is the going rate in the UK.

Some observations:

- it cannot be compared to a proper vintage SR. My friend was playing a tele through his 65 SR and the sound shimmered. I tested my lucille through a RI and the sound was very different.
    - it is still a good amp and worth the price.
    - I was playing a 70's champ last week and using the eternity I could get equal or better dirty tones
    - not as clean or loud as I was expecting. But my main amp is a 100 water that sounds and feels like double that ... so I'll have to accept that it wont stay clean like a twin. But a 'cleanish' tone will cut through with a pretty loud drummer.
    - the reverb is gorgeous and cavenous
    - tremolo is very choppy and typical fender style. Honestly, the 1974 marshall has a much sweeter tremolo - but with a touch of both reverb and tremolo the tone has real mojo.
    - the first channel is much more touch responsive. Reminds me more of a bassman tone and feel.
    - I wasn't overjoyed at the speakers, they are quite throaty but sound 'new'. However, having heard how my V30s in a closed back orange cabinet broke in over a period of a few years. They may well sound better further down the line.
    - the eternity pedal sounds better through this amp than any other I have tried with it. Finally I felt that I could get some of the 70's Stones tones (in the studio) at very reasonable volume levels. The pedal yields a very amp like tone ... be interesting to see how it fits in to band level playing, because by itself sounds great.
    - I'm looking forward to trying it in combination with the Marshall

I made the seller try my guitar and he is a very good blues player. We agreed to have a jam next week when he brings the amp round.
    Last edited by *Atomic*Richey*; 05-08-2011 at 12:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread