+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice effects

Default Voice effects

Recently we have been using a vocoder (Nord Modular synth) for some synthesized background choirs. I really like the way it sounds, very artificial but in a good way, but the way we do it is that my mic is fed into the synth to give formant to the sounds. To put it simple, I have an xlr to jack cable going into the synth for that. One of the outputs of the synth then gives a direct feed of the mic onto a DI (that's how we did it live) but that's far from perfect. The sound is degraded by going to a jack plug and by being digitized and back and going into the DI.

I've been thinking of getting some cheap vocal effect that splits into xlr and jack itself, so I don't have this hassle and it'll sound better. Plus, I can put some effects on my vocals It's hard to get a good fx mix up on stage though, so maybe just some pitch shifting / weird effects? Or just a split box.. Any recommendations/ideas ?
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    www.facebook.com/angeloboltini - Solo Page
    http://www.facebook.com/forthebirdsnl - Band Page

Run it thru the mixing board... this way you can have your vocoder hooked up as auxilary effect and distribute it to other mics as well.

That's the very first thing I'd look into.

If I were buying a vocal processor I'd get one of these http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicelive-2/ $400 in the US and does credible harmonies as well as special effects. To me, there's nothing cheaper I'd want to use, YMMV.

Glorbz: Generally, the mixing board is at the other side of the hall and buildup time just doesn't allow for so much time to get this one effect over there and back and make it all work.. I just remembered (when I plugged it in to use it for something else) that I have this Presonus TubePre here that has xlr and jack outputs! Could be a bit of a hassle and maybe too fragile to bring on the road, but it's easy and the cheapest option! Anything against bringing your own vocal pre-amp to gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by NJlo View Post
    Anything against bringing your own vocal pre-amp to gigs?

I don't know any soundman who would complain if you provide them an XLR direct signal. Less for them to worry about... so yeah bring it along!

About the mixing board being on the other side of the hall... you could have a small one on stage for such applications if you need control over it and then send the small mixer output to the main board.

When I did sound for a year at one club, there was a band whose vocalist always came in with his own wireless mic and processing rig. He basically handed me a direct box and said here's my signal. I plugged in an XLR and it was perfect every time. His mic produced a lot of level without overriding the console input. Great signal to noise ratio made me happy and he had vocoder and harmony and compression and effects (etc.) generated from a rack of gear. Personally I wouldn't go this route since it was lacking in the "live" element, but it was very professional and well thought out. Besides, to each his own.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY SELLING: http://www.musictoyzforums.com/showt...096#post359096

-More discourse, less intercourse.

-A critic is to an artist as an ornithologist is to a bird.

Quote Originally Posted by cubba View Post
    When I did sound for a year at one club, there was a band whose vocalist always came in with his own wireless mic and processing rig. He basically handed me a direct box and said here's my signal. I plugged in an XLR and it was perfect every time. His mic produced a lot of level without overriding the console input. Great signal to noise ratio made me happy and he had vocoder and harmony and compression and effects (etc.) generated from a rack of gear. Personally I wouldn't go this route since it was lacking in the "live" element, but it was very professional and well thought out. Besides, to each his own.
    My point exactly and the kind of reaction I have been getting every single time I showed up to a gig providing an XLR!
    I'd show up and they'd be a Shure 57 on a wire with stand waiting for me... and I'd go save your mic and stand I'll use your cable if that doesn't work for you fine we put it back I don't mind you know your setup and room. Most of the time I get good words on how it sounds, how professional and trouble free this is for everyone involved.

So yeah if a vocalist wants to get his own rig together small rack of whatever if done right no one is gonna say shit about it!

I went to see James Blake live yesterday and daaaaimn, it was seriously one of the best concerts I've ever seen! I loved his album, loved his EP's as well but that's more dubstep stuff, but live it's a whole 'nother thing. I went up to the stage to check his gear and he used the TC-Helicon Voicelive 2 for all of his pitch shifting tricks.

He did some awesome things, like on his tune I Never Learnt to Share he sang the lead vocals in three part harmony (with some octaving in there for weird vocal sound) with a looper, all a capella. Then he played different harmonies every time with his Prophet '08 and the whole band just kept building up around that.

If anyone gets the chance to see him, do it! Highly recommended, probably the most innovative artist of our time! And I had a little chat with him, nice guy to boot!

(sounds like it's time to save up for one of them voicelives though )

keymaster by pigtronixs

vocal 256 by EH

+ Reply to Thread