+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strymon Lex

Default Strymon Lex

http://www.strymon.net/products/lex/

This sounds pretty cool. Does anyone know if a unit like this with stereo outs can be used mono into an amp or do you need to have the signal seperated to two seperate amps? It does sound great.

It can be used mono, which imo is how it should be run anyway if you're trying to get "more realistic" leslie sounds, since a leslie cabinet is mono... I guess you COULD split the signal and have a leslie on each side of the stage, but no one (who made the effect famous) did that.

All Strymon's demos are, unfortunately, in stereo. Since most people who will be using this pedal will be using it in mono, several of us have requested they do a mono demo... AND all their demos are recorded DIRECT into PC.... so we have also requested a demo thru a mic'ed guitar amp... again, since that's how most people will be using the pedal.

The demos sound promising, but it's going up against the Rotosphere & Ventilator, so it has to be awesome.

To answer your question: yes! Can be used in mono.

More expensive but based on strength of tone from the clips...this is so not even close IMO...I want one!

edit...just reviewed the signal chain from the clips (the Lex I heard were direct I believe) and I would like to hear the Lex through an amp as the clips I heard were direct and a very flat sounding...

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited by Seegs; 03-23-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Agreed. The Ventilator clips are thru an amp... not sure if stereo or mono. The Lex clips were in stereo, direct to PC. Strymon needs to do a demo, in mono, thru a guitar amp. Sounds very promising tho.

I currently really enjoy my Rotosphere, but am always looking for something better/smaller. The one feature I'd love is a mix control... I realize real leslies don't have a mix control, because your entire signal goes thru them. BUT... I recently learned that David Gilmour would split his signal, sending half thru a leslie and half to his regular amps. The sound of the "not overpowering" leslie mixed with the dry signal is heavenly. The only leslie pedal that currently has the ability to simukate this is the Boss RT-20, you can control the level of dry signal blended in. I've heard mixed reviews on the RT-20, 50/50 love/hate, and everyone seems to agree the overdrive on it sucks balls, but it might be worth a look.

The Vent & Lex do have a "mic placement" control, but it's not the same thing as blending in dry signal.

Not true-the DLS Rotosim has an internal pot to mix dry signal with Leslie tone. It's probably as or more tweakable then any of the other units as there are a shoiload of control pots both internal and external. I found it sounded very close in quality to the Rotosphere and was WAY quieter and cheaper than the ones you've mentioned also. It has an Overdrive built in for that Leslie distortion tone. I choose it over the Rotosphere and Boss, and those looking for a good Leslie sim pedal would be foolish to discount it cause it's not the latest and greatest IMHO.

aahh... right Jay. Forgot about that trimpot in the DLS. I remember the DLS being so subtle of an effect, I cranked that trimpot to max for the most wet signal possible... and still found the whole pedal a bit subtle. I moved on to the Rotosphere. The other problem I had with it was, I would have to tweak knobs when changing speeds... I couldn't just set & forget the knobs, because depending on the speed, I found they needed to be re-adusted. That was actually the deal breaker for me.

I agree the DLS is a pretty good one. I just wanted something simpler, with less tweaking required.

+ Reply to Thread