+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Share your latest favorite chord shape...

Default Share your latest favorite chord shape...

Here's mine... stumble upon it while pick testing for another post on here... right now I'm having a blast moving that shape around... I wrote a 3 chords foundation adn added fooling around with that shape to it and all of a sudden I was melody making with 8+ chords tons of fun! Well to the silly me at least. Very comfortable shape and very jazzy yet as a nice ring to it in the upper end.

G minor add 4th.jpg

Instantly reminded me of a song on Andy Summer & John Etheridge acoustic duo album... actually saw those 2 guys live on that tour... I was very close to the stage and it was a very quiet setting type of gig. Anyway... that chord shape reminded me instantly of the Broken Brains song (follow the link for an audio sample if you care to)

So now it's your turn to share you current favorite chord shape!

I used quickchord to do the jpg of the chord box which is a free download and very easy to use. You can use whatever you fancy for that... but thought I'd share my tool in case anyone wanted to know and do it the same way.

The James Bond theme chord:

very cool and it's movable and works well agains other strange chords...

I surely will give one a try for sure. Thanks for sharing... we need more from others now please jump in !

Those are great!. How did you get the chord chart image?

Here's some

Emin7 (9,11) Cmin7/G

--------2-------- going to -------------3--------------------------
    --------3-------- -------------4--------------------------
    --------2-------- -------------3--------------------------
    --------5-------- -------------5--------------------------
    --------2------- -------------3---------------------------
    --------0------- -------------3---------------------------

and

Gmin/D A7/C#

----------------- going to -----------------
    -----3----------- -------2-----------
    -----3------------ ------2-----------
    -----5------------ ------5-----------
    -----5------------ ------4-----------
    ----------------- -----------------

Abm9 then to Cmaj7 (open pos) to Bmaj9 (F#/B)

---2-------
    ---0-------
    ---3------
    ---4------
    ---x-----
    ---4------
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

Cool topic -Ben yours is just Gm11. It's funny, my (jazz) teacher taught me never to use open strings because they don't transpose, so every chord I use is in closed form. Then I never bother to play with inversions because it's easier to reference the root in the bass (lower 2 strings) and the bass always has the slash chords... Looks like there's a whole world I'm missing out on!
    -meedley meedley woooOOOo-

Quote Originally Posted by MHermans View Post
    Those are great!. How did you get the chord chart image?
    If you are talking about mine, i just found the image in the net and linked it to the website but I don't know what software they

Quote Originally Posted by MHermans View Post
    How did you get the chord chart image?
    Mike go to google and type in "quickchord" it's a a free software... very light and basic(less than 2megs). You should be able to figure it out in seconds... basically you set the dots in place and then hit one of the 2 size copy button. It basically copy it to your clipboard so you can copy it into photoshop or any other software as a new file... you can also chane the tuning if you wish...

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Cool topic -Ben yours is just Gm11. It's funny, my (jazz) teacher taught me never to use open strings because they don't transpose, so every chord I use is in closed form. Then I never bother to play with inversions because it's easier to reference the root in the bass (lower 2 strings) and the bass always has the slash chords... Looks like there's a whole world I'm missing out on!
    I don't follow that rule I'm a sucker for open strings... and for the name of the chord... well it's what the software called it lol I didn't do any of the math... I just put my fingers on there fooled around found a comfortable shape that sounded right and tried writing something with it... it worked so then I bother with finding its name lol I do a lot of that actually just taking a known chord shape like say a minor A on 2nd fret and I'll add fingers to find something that works for me and then move it up the neck and adjust so I can get teh open strings right to do what I want it to do in context lol not very scientific in approach but I discovered a lot of things that way that I have incoporated into my own "style" must come from my early piano training where you're shown the major shape and then told... move this finger and you have a minor... so from there if you're a smart ass you go hmm what if I move this one... and oh lets add that one.. and if I double up with my other hand I'll get more range... I'll stop or I'll start shopping for pianos and I don't have the room for one lol

It's good to 'understand' that it's generally more efficient for transposition to ditch the open strings but you'll be missing an essential element of what make a guitar a guitar.
    That Abm9 voicing I tab'd is also a Bmaj7 (6th in the bass) that I snagged from Joe Diorio. He used it as the 1st chord in Giant Steps (Bmaj7). The B and Bb right next to each other make that voicing.
    *The secret is to know what notes make up ALL chords so that you can use open strings in ALL keys.
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

+ Reply to Thread