+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick evaluation...

Default Pick evaluation...

celll thin.jpg
    Celluloid thin
    Clear rhythm with nice attack details, not so great for lead playing requires more work in order to avoid being messy... not bad but not as easy as thicker gauges for lead riffing.

cell medium.jpgcell hvy.jpg
    Celluloid Medium and Heavy
    Louder than the thin one on rhythm but lacks the snappyness on the attack. More precise and defined on leads not as nice airy attack tho a bit more mellower teh thicker you go.

herco hvy.jpg
    Herco Flat/Thumbpick Heavy
    Same as a celluloid Heavy, different holding angle(to me anyway) matter of holding preference in terms of sound it's the same.

pickguy xgrip delrin.jpg
    Pickguy X-Grip .88mm Delrin
    Very close to a celluloid thin on rhythm but leads are more like a celluloid medium.
    side note... less resistant to pick scratch than celluloid.

P.S. Limit of 5 pictures per post... so more below...

jade.jpg
    Jade pick
    Clear and loud well defined on rhythm and same for lead, overall well balanced in various situations... just don't drop it on hard flooring as these are fragile, I learned that teh hard way few years ago. Still one of my favorites that is always in my stash.
    tech pick.jpg
    Tech Pick Aluminium (Dunlop)
    Loud on rhythm yet clearer than celluloid. Not as warm and mellow on leads as it is for rhythm (quite evident with an acoustic) Great for pick scratch... also very resistant I've had that one for a couple of years(more than 5yrs...) in my stash and use it from time to time.

dugain acrylic.jpg
    Dugain Acrylic
    The new boy in my stash, very close to the jade pick in terms of sound, but easier to hold. The grip is similar to a Dunlop Stubby tho slightly different in feel(from memory didn't have a stubby out of a binder to play with) Wish it had the back grip of other Dugain picks.. I think it is available with it... would have to check others when I get the chance to.
    dugain coconut.jpg
    Dugain Coconut (thanks rologibson!)
    Well balance pick, less present than jade and not as loud either. Holding grip is very comfortable... felt right within seconds... a bit thick for my taste tho.
    pickboy rosewood.jpg
    Pickboy Rosewood (thanks Dosmun!)
    Brighter than coconut on rhythm, mellower than celluloid heavy on leads and not as comfortable as the Dugain coconut. The back of it is just weird to me, feels too thick... even more so than the Dugain coconut. Nice piece of art tho, just not for me in terms of playing.

pick of destiny.jpg
    Pick of Destiny
    ... well I think you gotta have the faith for that one... and yes I really have that in my collection... I had to!

Great read and nice looking picks. The pick of destiny is cool/ scary. More pick evaluations please Ben.

Thanks rolo. It is a cool factor thing... it's akward to hold and feels weird.

My "Sea Pick" shall be posted for contemplation (this weekend hopefully)
    Last edited by rologibson; 01-29-2011 at 01:17 AM.

How would you rate the Fuzzball picks? They are medium guage, glow in the dark, Clayton picks. When I "picked" them i went with medium, thinking it would appeal to the widest group of users. The glow in the dark was definitely a cool factor decision. Wam Fuzzball on a glow in the dark pick is just a natural. Lately, I've been critically comparing them to my Clayton Ultem "Fluffy and Poopie Show" picks. the ultems are better imho for lead playing. I do not know what guage the ultems are, however.
    Sick fuzz & cowboy hats.
    http://www.geocities.com/magicfoot04/

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhoenixDave View Post
    How would you rate the Fuzzball picks? They are medium guage, glow in the dark, Clayton picks. When I "picked" them i went with medium, thinking it would appeal to the widest group of users. The glow in the dark was definitely a cool factor decision. Wam Fuzzball on a glow in the dark pick is just a natural. Lately, I've been critically comparing them to my Clayton Ultem "Fluffy and Poopie Show" picks. the ultems are better imho for lead playing. I do not know what guage the ultems are, however.

The Fuzzball glow in the dark seems to be very similar to delrin picks... wouldn't be surprised if they are in fact delrin.

My first picks starting up playing were Delrin picks... because they were really easy to find back in the 80s with all teh neon colors being delrin... I remember liking the medium and heavy Charvel pink picks lol my actual first pick that went into my collection was a neon green delrin pick... free promo music store given to me by the owner.

When I first started playing I used to like the Gibson picks that were tear drop shaped. I don't think they make them anymore.

"If you don't drink you're a boring c**t and all of your stories suck"
    Jim Jeffries

RAT History Page http://webpages.charter.net/daosmun/
    www.metroamp.com
    www.luczakguitars.com

Cool pics of picks and great tonal observations. One pick that I use, just for special occasions, is the Adamas Graphite. It's a little too clacky, but sometimes it's just what's needed for an acoustic track to cut through. For electric, lately I've been favoring the Big Stubby. Those Dugains look mighty delish.

+ Reply to Thread