+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emotional balance, detail testing, and subjectivity to reach happy tone plateu

Default Emotional balance, detail testing, and subjectivity to reach happy tone plateu

Hopefully I make sense guys, its all about individual own "tone journey" after all.

EMOTIONAL BALANCE If I am not feeling balanced living my life, that might have a negative effect on how I perceive my tone.
    (I`ve read that some players strive to feel bad and then get inspired by that, ok, but not for me).

My own "tone journey" has been a long and obscure one. I started seeing clearer when I took the time to read more gear reviews and heard how a piece of gear actually sounded before purchasing it. Listening is the main key.

A cheap priced item sometimes is an indicative of cheap parts but not always.

Expensive gear supposedly offers a security blanket on components(I repeat supposedly) but if we focus on how things sound instead of brands and price tags we might have a more gratifyng "tone journey".

Having as much open mind and curiousity as possible are two strong allies in my gear testing process. Surely there are more things to say on this area...

DETAIL TESTING: IMHO it is not enough or totally safe to buy gear and just because you "think it will sound good" it will do so.

I`ve finally harvest a nirvanic tone with my rig. It started to come into reality after testing each gear piece and how it interacted with placement order, cables, guitar knobs etc.. I actually have fun doing my sound-tests but I try to do it in a very ordely fashion.
    I mean if you write down the variables you get lots of different choices to test.

The impetude of trying to write this post was born out of my recent "cable mixing tests" conquests.

Side note:Sometimes too much of a good thing might actually do harm to your tone.

Cable testing: I really liked the tone I get from my humbled priced Melody cables interconnecting my three pedals with a Loop Pedal versus the more expensive Van Den Hul cables. The VDH cables are gift from heaven because I used them as first and last cable coming in/out of pedalboard.Improving everything.

I discovered that by using Melody cables coming out of my ABY pedal going into my two amp`s input, I liked the tightness, "mid sparks" tone and won over using just a VDH cable. Its a matter of personal taste afterall. But testing out things made my choices clearer and improved my tone. I could have gone and bought more expensive cables and "wrongly believe that I had better tone" Testing helps finding my personal truth based on my subjective taste.

SUBJECTIVITY:/ HAPPY PERMANENT SMILING

Sorry if I went into too much details (my intentions are to raise awareness)

To be more effective on my personal "tone journey" I suffered from the "immatureness" of trying to sound as heavy or mellow as "several "x" artist icons", it came down to finding the gear that made me smile permanently while playing... I catched myself doing that(smiling satisfied) yesterday, and wanted to share it "it is totally worthy to go into detail testing with an emotional balance and trying to find a permanent satisfaction"

In my book it is not necessary to have a zillion pedals or a room full of amps and guitars, it is all about getting to a comfortable/nirvanic place where I can play feel connected and smile at my personal conquest...since it took me years to finally get home. Love, Faith and Hope. and Wah (like Geoffrey says).
    Last edited by rologibson; 01-07-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rologibson View Post
    Expensive gear supposedly offers a security blanket on components(I repeat supposedly) but if we focus on how things sound instead of brands and price tags we might have a more gratifyng "tone journey".
    Sometime it takes a LOT of time to admit to yourself a certain brand of gear actually does fit you better than the one you've been thinking would be the best thing in the world... been down that route before.

Couldn't agree more on that statement from you.

+ Reply to Thread