Closed Thread

Thread: Baby Blue vs. Hot Cake

Hello-

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times before, but I thought I would ask anyway. (laugh)

I have a Hot Cake and like it a lot. Can you guys please tell me where it stands with a Baby Blue? All that have a Baby Blue LOVE it and describe it as one of the best overdrives out there.

What are the biggest differences between the two?

By the way, here is my gear: 90 MIM Strat, 91 MIJ Tele ->EH Small Stone->Micro-Vibe->Hot Cake->Supra-Trem->CE-5 Chorus into 2 Traynor Custom Valve 40 Combo amps. Amp has 3 12AX7WA Tubes preamp tubes and a 1x12 Celestion speaker.

Here is a link to the amp.
    http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp...el2=13&level3=

**I included the amp info because it seems to make a big difference to what the overdrive pedal does.

Thanks everyone.

~John II

Hello-

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times before, but I thought I would ask anyway. (laugh)

I have a Hot Cake and like it a lot. Can you guys please tell me where it stands with a Baby Blue? All that have a Baby Blue LOVE it and describe it as one of the best overdrives out there.

What are the biggest differences between the two?

By the way, here is my gear: 90 MIM Strat, 91 MIJ Tele ->EH Small Stone->Micro-Vibe->Hot Cake->Supra-Trem->CE-5 Chorus into 2 Traynor Custom Valve 40 Combo amps. Amp has 3 12AX7WA Tubes preamp tubes and a 1x12 Celestion speaker.

Here is a link to the amp.
    http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp...el2=13&level3=

**I included the amp info because it seems to make a big difference to what the overdrive pedal does.

Thanks everyone.

~John II

Doent that EH Small Stone suck some of the tone out of your signal when its bypassed? And you already have a Micro vibe, so why the need for 2 phasers? Same with the Boss CE-5 chorus- its a tone sucker. Ditch the Boss and get the Analog Man chorus with true bypass for starters.

Well I used to own a Hot Cake (both the older mid switch one and the newer 3 nob version). They just didn't do it for me into Fender amps. One of the things that REALLY botherd me with the Hot Cake, and both of mine had this problem, was the unatural, unmusical deacy to a sustained note. If I just hold a note or chord, I want to hear a smooth sustain and decay as the note fades away. The Hot Cake spat, sputterd, farted and seem to jump between clean and distorted as the note decayed - unuseable for me. Also I found the bypassed tone colored from my natural tone (it's not a true bypass pedal).

The Baby Blue just worked for me the first time I plugged it in! It's a fat, Fat, FAT super smooth OD with great susatin. It absolutely kills into Fender amps and is true bypass. The funny thing is - I've only ever played it with the gain full up! I liked that sound so much I've never tried it at lower gain settings or as a clean boost.
    "Tag really knows tone."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GuitarKing:
    Doesnt that EH Small Stone suck some of the tone out of your signal when its bypassed? And you already have a Micro vibe, so why the need for 2 phasers? Same with the Boss CE-5 chorus- its a tone sucker. Ditch the Boss and get the Analog Man chorus with true bypass for starters.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not compared to see if the Small Stone sucks tone out of my signal. It sounds great with it in the line. I will have to see.

The Micro-Vibe I use as a Leslie Simulator. I find it much different than the Small Stone. I use the Small Stone more as a traditional phaser effect.

I would love to get an Analog Man Chorus pedal. Problem is, they are sooooo expensive. I would want to get the stereo version, which is $225.00. Ouch. I'm pretty happy with the CE-5. It creates a lush chorus.

~John II

I've got both, and after a head-to-head comparison, I only use the Baby Blue. For my setup, the Hotcake is just too muddy and midrange-heavy. The consensus seems to be that the Hotcake works best on Vox and Vox-like amps, and the Baby Blue works best on Fender and Fender-like amps. I have a Carr Slant 6, which with the settings I use is something like a Fender Deluxe Reverb. For me, it's the Baby Blue hands down.

I've seen some comments here that make no sense to me. The decay thing, the lotsa midrange thing...

The Cake has way more bass and treble than midrange. You can dial in some high midrange in certain sweeps of the presence knob, though. In fact, this is why I think it works better with Vox types than Fenders...little midrange content. With a tweed, though, it works better. The bypass in the Hotcake isn't that great, but it's not as bad as many lead a person to believe. I'd say it's not quite on par with a Boss buffer. (not great, but if you have all true bypass pedals and use the Cake with the buffer it won't sound bad)

As for going with an Analogman chorus instead of the CE-5....well, think hard on that and get many opinions, read reviews, sleep on it, think some more, etc. I'm going back to a CE-5 from the CLone Chorus. I'll be putting the CE-5 in a loop. Also, the mono version of the Clone Chorus is $225. The stereo version is much higher like $250 or more.

Good luck, John!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telepicker:
    I've seen some comments here that make no sense to me. The decay thing, the lotsa midrange thing...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The decay thing is simple: have the Hot Cake set for a heavy OD. Now just hit a chord or note and let it ring. As the chord/note dies out the Hot Cake makes coughing, spitting, sluttery, farty sounds. The decay just is not smooth at all - much like a cheap old fuzz box. This happened with both of the Hot Cakes I owned (the older mid lift swicth version and the newer three knob version). There was someone else on HC that made the same comment.
    "Tag really knows tone."

I've owned both pedals and still own the Baby Blue, it's a much more refined pedal and is more compatable with several amp set ups. The hotcake is alot more picky about what you plug it into, plus it's not true bypass.
    Dean
    ----------------------------------
    "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

I think I'll agree to disagree, Mr. Renkluaf. I haven't had that experience and have used the Hotcake in many different ways for some time now. Not doubting you....just haven't experienced it.

Closed Thread