Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EH Wiggler owners... HUM?

Just got a Wiggler, LOVE the sound, but... it's got a hum that won't quit. It's not super loud, but considering my pedalboard is dead quiet, it's unacceptable. Does anyone else who has/had a Wiggler notice this? I'm using the EH wall wart with it.

Luckily, sitting beside it is a Guyatone Flip VT-X, so getting rid of the Wiggler wouldn't be a big deal, but this pedal (Wiggler) has ALOT of mojo, love to keep it, but the hum has got to go.

I've tried a few different 12AX7's in both slots, doesn't seem to matter.

Just got a Wiggler, LOVE the sound, but... it's got a hum that won't quit. It's not super loud, but considering my pedalboard is dead quiet, it's unacceptable. Does anyone else who has/had a Wiggler notice this? I'm using the EH wall wart with it.

Luckily, sitting beside it is a Guyatone Flip VT-X, so getting rid of the Wiggler wouldn't be a big deal, but this pedal (Wiggler) has ALOT of mojo, love to keep it, but the hum has got to go.

I've tried a few different 12AX7's in both slots, doesn't seem to matter.

I used to had that pedal. But thats the reason I dont have it anymore. the hum and the ticking noise when its turned up alot.

there`s that screw on top between the 2 tubes:
    give it a tiny (1/8th) turn to the left,
    and fasten it again.

You're joking, right?

Well, even if you weren't joking, that didn't do anything at all...

I`d never dare jokin`...
    it has helped at least 3 people
    over at HC.
    try the other screws, too.

(has to do with aluminum oxidation)

will do...

weird...

Was this at HC reviews for WIGGLER, or EH fx in general? I know they have a rep of being noisy...

OK, I did that to ALL the external screws... no help.

What a shame- a great sounding pedal, ruined by hum. I've read where alot of people don't mind the noise of the EHX stuff- either because "you can't hear it when you're playing" or "the effects sounds SO good, I'll deal with the noise", but it's not for me.

I wouldn't be opposed to opening it up if there was a fix, but from what I've read about EHX stuff, it's notorious for noise problems, and I'd hate to open it up & mess with it for no good reason.

I thought about sending it back to EHX, but again- from what I've read- their stuff is notorious for this, and I don't want a long ordeal trying to get a quiet pedal.

The Guyatone VT-X Flip Tremolo has ALMOST as much mojo as the Wiggler (VT-X is very tube-dependent; different tubes vary the output & tone quite a bit), and the Guyatone is quiet. While it's not TB, it's got a great buffer- one of the best I've heard.

So unless someone has any more suggestions on fixing the hum in this thing, I guess it's off to the chopping block...

...and what a GREAT sounding trem. Why can't EHX solve their noise issues?!?!?!

My Wiggler doesn't hum at all. It enjoys receiving hum&^%*, but that's a different story.

You might be dealing with a ground loop issue. I would try plugging it into a different outlet, if available. It might also be a faulty wall wart.

If the outlet thing doesn't work, I would send the whole kit'n'kaboodle back to EHX and ask them to fix it. I think it will cost you $5 total. I've done that with one pedal (I forget which), and they fixed it very quickly and kept in touch via e-mail.

It would be a shame to get rid of a cool pedal that you like, when the problem may be easily and quickly fixable by the manufacturer.

Tried the ground loop thing, couldn't get rid of the hum. I think it is inherent to the unit. I'm also not sure it's even a defect- alot of people complain about noisy EHX stuff, it's quite possible that this amount of hum (which isn't very much) is just simply above my tolerance for hum.

I may email EHX & see what they have to say... if "a little" hum is normal, hum that "can't be heard while playing" is normal to this unit, that's all I need to know.

I wonder WHY it's got a hum? None of my other fx do, even my 2 other tube ones (Flip trem & Echodrive)???

Closed Thread