Closed Thread

Thread: Gibson " Titan " head

Anybody know anything about these . '64 , 2 channels , trem , 4 6L6's , 5 other weird tubes ( 6F07's and 6EU7's - aren't these usually reverb drivers , no verb on the amp ). It works , only a few weird noises , and has the classic Gibson clean tone - a lot of low end . Flying V , I know you can help me .

Anybody know anything about these . '64 , 2 channels , trem , 4 6L6's , 5 other weird tubes ( 6F07's and 6EU7's - aren't these usually reverb drivers , no verb on the amp ). It works , only a few weird noises , and has the classic Gibson clean tone - a lot of low end . Flying V , I know you can help me .
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

Piece of cake.....you're right, this puppy used some strange tubes. The Titan V was produced by Gibson from 1963 to 1967. It uses the following tubes: 3-6EU7, 2-12AU7, 1-6FQ7, 4-6L6, 1-0A2 (which corresponds to an Epiphone EA-500T). The 6EU7 and the 6FQ7 (and it's equivalent the 6CG7) were made by Sylvania, GE and RCA. You can get replacement NOS tubes for these two from KCA. Sovtek also makes a 6EU7and a 6FQ7. I'm not sure about the OA2, but it has lots of substitutes.

The 6EU7 is a miniature, high-mu, twin triode primary used in the low-level stages of high gain audio frequency amps. It has a plate voltage of 330 volts and transconductance of 1250 to 1600 micromhos. The 6EU7 was often used by Magnavox in the pre-amp stage of their phonograph amps in the late 50's and early 60's. They were also used as pre-amp tubes in old Bogen PA systems. Gibson started using the 6EU7 instead of the 12AX7 for pre-amp tubes in some of their amps including the GA-2RVT, GA-4RE and GA45-RV.

The 6FQ7 is a general purpose, medium-mi twin triode tube frequently used in old TV sets to control horizontal and veritical oscillation of picture tubes. It has a plate voltage of 330 volts and transconductance of 1250 to 1600 micromhos. Generally, when you see a 6EU7 in the pre-amp stage of a Gibson amp you also see a 6FQ7 for the tremolo circuit. The 6FQ7 was also used for tremolo in a lot of the old Silvertone amps.

The two 12AU7's are used as a phase inverter to reduce feedback in the 6EU7 pre-amp stage. This technique is used for a lot of harp amps. Gibson had several other amps from this period that were coveted by harp players -- the design for the Titan was probably derived from one of these amps. The four 6L6's are the power tubes.

The OA2 was used as a voltage regulator in the Titan amps, courtesy of Seth Lover. I believe it was originally a mil spec tube. The OA2 has a lot of substitutes including the 11TA31, 150C1, 150C2, 150C4, CV10664, CV1832, CV2903, CV8161, HD51, M8223, QS1207, QS1210, SR56, and STR15030.

The Titan V is a semi-rare amp that had a limited production run. The shipping totals were:

1963 - 27
    1964 - 43
    1965 - 42
    1966 - 52
    1967 - 27

The heads were sold with a trapazoidal-shaped 2x15 cabinet. They aren't highly prized by collectors, and a Titan V head in excellent condition is worth around $325.00. I'd keep it.....you own a little piece of music history.

[This message has been edited by FlyingVBlues (edited 03-15-2002).]
    "No matter what you plug into, you're going to sound like you" -- Robben Ford --

Thanks " Blues " , I knew you'd be able to help . The amp belongs to the guy who does my taxes and he wants to sell it - probably cheap . Other than being dirty and couple of loose tube sockets , it's practically mint . It'll be perfect for my baritone . You da man .
    Gar Nals ship is not in it's hangar.

http://soundcloud.com/klasaine

I kind of lucked out, because I remembered a some of the details of this amp. A great place to go to get amp info is the Amps section of the Weber Vintage Sound forum. The URL is:

http://www.webervst.com/vstbbs/bbs.html

Heavyweight amp/tube guys like Gerald Weber, Andy Fuchs, Pete Cage, Ted Weber, Kenny Blue Ray, Mike Kropotkin, Uncle Spot, Lord Valve, Joe Mloganoski and George Alessandro post there on a regular basis. I've learned a great deal from several of these guys -- it's worth checking out. They also have decent effects and guitar forums too. A few people from Toyz also show up there on occassion.

[This message has been edited by FlyingVBlues (edited 03-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by FlyingVBlues (edited 03-18-2002).]
    "No matter what you plug into, you're going to sound like you" -- Robben Ford --

Closed Thread