Closed Thread

Thread: Flanger or Uni-Vibe..... Which One, and what Model?

Something I'd like to add to my set up. Looking for sounds along the lines of Eric Johnson - High Landrons, KWS - Last Good Bye (it sounds like a mix of a Uni Vibe, and Flanger)..... now, if a Flanger is not the correct pedal, can a Uni-Vibe pedal do the same type of thing... that "chewey", swirley sound?

Thanks,
    Chris

Something I'd like to add to my set up. Looking for sounds along the lines of Eric Johnson - High Landrons, KWS - Last Good Bye (it sounds like a mix of a Uni Vibe, and Flanger)..... now, if a Flanger is not the correct pedal, can a Uni-Vibe pedal do the same type of thing... that "chewey", swirley sound?

Thanks,
    Chris

Well...Uni-vibes are flange-like in nature. So, I find them to be more versatile. If you set your speed knob low, you're getting a very flange like sound. But, you can also turn the rate up and get those Leslie-type sounds that you're looking for.
    I personally love the vibe sound. I have a fulltone Deja Vibe; which is pretty good. It's not as good as the provibe in the Captain Coconut 2, however. Buy i have no need for Octave or Fuzz, so i cant justify buying it.
    I'd say, go with either the Fulltone Deja, the MJM Sixties Vibe, the Sweet Sounds Ultravibe; or..if you can use the other two effects, the CC2 by Foxroxx.

Univibes are basically phasers. The speed and waveform differ a little from model to model on phasers and univibe clones, so that's why some work better for phase or faux leslie sounds.

EJ used a flanger for high landrons, and any flanger capable of those sounds (TC chorus/flanger or Choralflange, for example) will not be able to get leslie sounds very well. Just my opinion, because good sounds are subjective. Look into a good, high speed analog chorus or phaser for leslie type sounds. (VL Analog chorus or Analogman Clone)

If you really want both, and don't need to switch between them on stage, get a Fulltone Choralflange. It does High Landrons and leslie stuff fairly well. To me, in your situation, the ultimate would be to get an ADA flanger (or other of high quality sound) and an Analogman CLone Chorus. The clone will do a great slow chorus or faux leslie by ramping the speed with your foot. However, if you don't need chorus at all then check in to getting just a high speed phaser. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread