Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vox 847 wah AC adapter mod?

my Vox 847 Wah pedal has no AC power jack and currently runs off of batteries only. i want to add my wah to my pedal board and have it powered off of my board's power supply.

is there a mod or work around solution to have my wah powered through an AC adapter?

i gots luv fo' sale!

my Vox 847 Wah pedal has no AC power jack and currently runs off of batteries only. i want to add my wah to my pedal board and have it powered off of my board's power supply.

is there a mod or work around solution to have my wah powered through an AC adapter?

i gots luv fo' sale!
    i gots luv fo' sale!

yea, ive got the same problem. The guy at pedalworx does a bunch of stuff to the V847's, including an ac jack.

Ibanez Artcore AM73T -> Johnson Pedal tuner -> TS-9 Tubescreamer (true bypass, 808, brown mods)-> "Death Drive" distortion-> Fulltone 70 -> Boss CH-1-> Akai Intelliphase-> Visual Sound H2O-> Vox V847 Wah-> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

There is an adapter that snaps right to the battery clip and has the standard boss adapter on the other end that you can plug your adapter into that. Radio shack has them if not Mouser. I got 2 of them with my switchmode power adapter and use one to power a mxr microamp. All you do is clip it to the battery connedctor in the wah and let the wire hang out. Welcome aboard CadDrafter, I too am a cad drafter by trade.

I mounted a switched power connector in mine and it's very convenient although the simple method Guitar George describes is fine.

you might also consider adding a Double Pole Double Throw stomp switch and wiring it to fully bypass the Wah.

Here's a diagram of this mod:

You can never have too many toys
    You can never have too many toys

I had it done to my Vox 847 by Robert Keeley last year. He added the AC adapter and true bypass for around $50 if my memory is correct. Personally I'm not up to doing these things myself so it was money well spent.

If you do the True Bypass mod yourself DO NOT CUT THE BROWN WIRE!!!!

It makes more sense to remove the wire from the input jack and replace with a new wire that goes to the DPDT switch.

There are alot of mods to go along with the TBP mod as well and these can make a Vox sound really excellent as well.

All the best!

George
    www.PedalworX.com

Hi CADdrafter,
    this is how you do it. There are 3 prongs on the adapter. Hold the adapter so that you have 2 prongs that are laying flat(horizontal) and one that is vertical. Run the red battery snap wire to the top horizontal prong. Then run a red wire from the lowest horizontal prong back to where the red battery snap wire went.
    You then connect the black battery snap wire to the prong that is vertical and thats it.
    I would suggest that you install a 1N4001 diode with the anode(striped end) to the red wire and the cathode(non striped end) to the point that the red wire was just connected to.
    That will help protect against surges and wrong adapters. It's kind of like a fuse in a way in that it will blow before any damage has been done to the circuit card.

I hope this helps and feel free to email me if you need me to send a couple pics your way.

Good luck.
    Peace
    NUKLHED

I forgot to add this bit of info for you. If you need to make it true bypass and also if you want a LED(??) go to www.realmccoycustom.com and check out the help section. There is a pic there of how to install a new switch and shows exactly where the wires go etc. 3PDT's are the best and you can run a LED from one as well. You can't do that with a DPDT switch very easily.

Good luck.

Peace
    NUKLHED

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guitar George:
    There is an adapter that snaps right to the battery clip and has the standard boss adapter on the other end that you can plug your adapter into that. Radio shack has them if not Mouser. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've checked Radio Shack for just such a thing, but haven't found it there...any other suggestions?

Closed Thread