Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Distortion with DOD FX96 Analog Delay

Can anyone tell me if the circular white part, with a slotted arrow (near the center of the 2nd pic) is a trim pot or not?

That looks like one to me, I was told that the Tape Reel Version did'nt have a trim pot, and yours does, I would figure DOD made a change in design somewhere in the first version of these pedals.

That's what I thought it was.

Mine also definitely has more than 300 ms, - I have a Maxon AD80 to compare it with and my FX96 is longer.

Re: 12V
    I'm using a Radio Shack multi-voltage AC adapter. The details are in a earlier post. So far, so good. It hasn't seemed to have fried the pedal, and it does sound a lot better.

Gary

Well, in an irrational impulse buy, I went back and bought the used FX96 I tried out. Plugged it into a 9V power supply and it was definitely cleaner, but no where near the DM-2. The bottom plate says it takes a 10V power supply, so a 12V may not be that bad on the circuitry. Then again, there's a sticker next to the adapter plug that says 9V . I have an old Boss ASA unregulated 9V which, from what I've read, puts out more than 9V, so I give that a try.

The recommended power supply is the DOD PS200R-120.

Specs for the PS200R-120 are:
    Input 120VAC 60Hz 8W
    Output 9.6VDC 300mA
    Class 2 Transformer
    Positive--(--Negative

Dang freeservers killed my pics in my other post again!! If I upgraded my account, it wouldn't be free would it?!

I ordered the adapter for that delay from musicians friend and they sent some generic brand in a DOD box that was rated 9.3 volts or something like that, anybody have a schematic for this and it can be determined how much juice it will safely take by the ratings on the components.

If it says iPRO on top, and Harman Pro Group in smaller letters under it, it is the correct one.

DOD and DigiTech are owned by Harman. Model should be PS200R - 120.

I tried the 12 Volt power with my FX 96 and It makes a big difference. You get more delay and the overall sound is better except I get this low end "woof" sound every so often when I'm using my Klon in the signal, everything else works fine. I retweaked the trim pot for the max delay I could get at 12v and for cleanest sound and for me there's plenty of delay, it sounds better but that noise thing, anybody know what that could be?

Well, I decided to get the Radio Shack universal power adapter (paid more for it than the FX96!) so I could switch back & forth between 9V and 12V to check the difference. Much cleaner delays on 12V, but the "dirty" 9V sound might be cool for what I'm using it for. I'm taking the B output from an HR-2 (octave down) and sending it to the FX96. The A (detune) is mixed back with the FX96 output and eventually end up in a DigiTech DigiDelay. Quite the interesting "double head" echo effect. This is for my fiddle board, so I'm looking for something different than what I'd want for my guitar rig.

Has anyone who's using a 12V with the FX96 experienced any problems yet with the higher voltage? I really don't want this bursting into flames in the middle of the gig...

Closed Thread